Wednesday, March 08, 2006

5 Senses



This past weekend I took a jewelry making workshop. My first jewerly/metal-working class. It was such a blast! The teacher was amazing and I learned so much and had so much fun doing it. This image is the project from the class. I made that!

So many new sensations, I decided to use this as my entry for Inspire Me Thursday's challenge to create with all five senses.

Sight - The metal glowing red as the solder melted and oozed, the blue flame of the torch
Sound - So many sounds - the teeth of the saw blade cutting through the metal, the woosh of the torch lighting up, the pounding of the hammers, the sizzle as the pieces hit the hot pickle.
Smell - The aroma of sulphur as the piece went into the liver of sulphur solution, the smell of metal lingering on my fingers at the end of the day.
Touch - The roughness of the sandpaper, the sharpness of the cut metal, the heat of a freshly soldered piece (ouch!).
Taste - The taste of the coffee that kept me going through the day long classes, and the M&Ms we shared as we shared our completed pieces. And I've definitely developed a taste for this jewelry making thing!

10 comments:

Kirsten said...

So cool! What a great interpretation of the "five senses" theme. I would love to learn how to do that! Something similar made flat would be absolutley gorgeous on a scrapbook page. In fact if you don't scrapbook yourself I bet you could sell plenty on ebay for this reason! (I can't help but think of scrapbooking applications of everything sorry). Lovely!

Kaleidoscopic Kris said...

This is gorgeous, and I love your descriptions of the senses used in the creation of this piece. I've got to do some work with copper soon!

carla said...

That sounds like such fun, and you came away with a gorgeous piece of jewelry! Your experince was indeed one of all senses. These colors are so warm and earthy looking...beautiful:>

cheryl said...

Wow - I love this one - what a gorgeous trinket to create with your own hands. Love the colors as well. A beautiful piece!

Laini said...

Wow -- you made that in your first jewelry-making class? It's terrific! Something I can easily imagine buying at an art fair. How fun it must have been. I also love your tea image below. So creative!

TXArtcGal said...

WOW! How cool is that?!! I'd love to be able to do something like this!! Beautiful piece!

Lisa said...

Ang,

That's a really beautiful piece! You know...my birthday is coming up...(ok, it's after yours of but...) LOL

Love ya,
Lis

Steph (Khya) said...

Oh wow! That is beautiful! I make jewelry and I can't wait to get my copper sheet to try some stuff out, even more so now i've seen this!

Laini said...

Hi Angela! I've been checking back looking for a new post. Thanks for visiting my blog recently -- I hope you're finding your inspiration!

Colorsonmymind said...

Oh Angela I wish I could take that class too. This piece is beautiful.