Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday - Abstract Art



My latest piece. It's mixed media/collage on a 24"x24" canvas. Though I still see "me" in this, I also see a new artistic direction coming through in this piece.

This canvas has a story too. A couple of weeks ago I was painting a very different image on it. One night I heard a crash coming from my studio space (never a good thing), and came in to find that one of my cats had knocked over my easel, and the canvas fell into the corner of my work table, putting a nice hole in it. I was pretty upset until my husband pointed out that with my textural style, I could probably patch it and nobody would be able to tell where. So I went for it, and since the canvas was already "ruined", I felt free to experiment a bit, and I'm quite pleased with the result.

Maybe I should let the cat into the studio more often. :)

10 comments:

JO said...

I would say with or without the cats; this is a great piece.

carla said...

This has a very spare look that causes the eye to focus on the colors and the texture. It makes me think of some outpost at the top of a mountain...very cool!

jblack designs said...

I *love* this piece. Quite excellent. The cat deserves a special treat....

Jennifer

Jess said...

This is great.

It's like a skyscraper placed in the "wrong" spot.

melanie komisarski said...

Angela, this is a wonderful piece. And I love the story behind it, and how you were better able to experiment and be free with the piece, knowing it was already 'flawed'... hmm, maybe I should start poking holes in my art in progress, too? :)

Kala said...

well this really is a happy accident! I love the hidden textures you can just see under the paint, the kind of painting you need to see in real life.

carra said...

Cats! :D Mine has been known to try to catch the brush... yes, while I was painting! ;) Fortunately I was able to save that painting, too.


It's a wonderful picture, it intrigues me. I love the colours.

susan said...

love it. sometimes we need a push in the right direction! lol. really - the piece is just great!

arvindh said...

Very interesting piece!

Amy said...

Just love the colours, textures, and composition of this piece! It's really inspiring to me!