Friday, July 14, 2006

Non-art art stuff

I just finished reading Fine Art Publicity: The Complete Guide For Galleries And Artists and I feel compelled to recommend it to all you artists trying to get your work out there, as well as you gallery owners. The author is a professional fine art publicist and though the book is primarily for galleries, it also has some great tips for the artists themselves. The greatest benefit I gleaned from reading this is a section on how to actually plan your PR year in advance. I've read many books on art and art marketing so I know many things that I should be doing, but I've always approached it in a rather scattered way. I'm hoping that having read this, I can be better about implementing this knowledge.

One of the best books I've found on self-promotion for the artist is How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist, 5th ed. : Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul. Truly stuffed with very useful information. And she makes a point of saying that yes, it can be done!

, ,

2 comments:

Sarah e.Smith said...

Thank you for the book recommendations.....i will definately have to read these! Another good one is Crafting As A Business....it is a great book for artists of all mediums :) Cheers!

Chriss said...

thanks for the recommendations! :)