Friday, July 28, 2006

Show Announcement & week in review


I just got the announcements for my upcoming show "Combined Elements" at ArtsWest in the mail yesterday! I'll be one of three mixed media artists, my painting is the one in the middle. The designer really chose the images well. It's so cool that we each have a work so similar, yet so different too. They could only send me a small amount of cards for my mailing list, but I wish I could send one to each of you. I'm very excited about this show.

This week started off very slow. The heat was oppressive so it was difficult to do much but sit as still as possible, but I also just felt a strange sense of quiet, stillness, hopefully receptiveness. I had also just finished what is now definitely one of my new favorite books (top 3 easy) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (who is also a great artist) which was just devistatingly beautiful, and the stillness gave me time to digest it more fully.

The heat finally broke (still warm, but no longer oppressively so) and I managed to do an entry for Illustration Friday:Opposites and for Artwords: Fragility. I drew and played some with my watercolors. The heat really made me gravitate toward them - they felt cool somehow. I sketched some ideas for paintings. I sent off a slide package to Seattle Art Museum to apply for their Betty Bowen Memorial Award, and another package to a corporate art consultant in New York(!) who requested(!!) one after seeing some of my images somewhere!

Today is nice and cool, even a little misty out, and I'm off to get my hair cut, finally! It's been over 2 months. I'm thinking about getting some highlights too, to help offset what my hairdresser calls "God's hightlights". Then I think I'll take myself on an artist date.

Take care of yourselves and have a great weekend!

5 comments:

AscenderRisesAbove said...

Congratulations on the announcements...

"time travelers wife" is a masterpiece. She has an illustrated book out called "the three incestuous sisters"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810959275/002-9772810-1644040?v=glance&n=283155

so so thankful that the heat broke...

susan said...

what a lovely lovely work here, good luck on your show. i think you will do well... god's highlights! lovely! mine were more like the devils paintbrush...
ahem.
my daughter loved the time travellers wife ... me? i couldn't bear it. after seven chapters i dropped it. maybe it was the wrong time for me? (to read it! no pun intended)
thanks for the happy birthday!

Colorsonmymind said...

It is soooo hot here too.

Congrats! I am so excited and proud of you..

Oh you are going to have so many sales from this show.

Love to you

Chriss said...

How fabulous!!! Good luck with the show. Your art is wonderful and it looks like you are in good company too!

miragee said...

Your artworks are really wonderful. I like very much the image chosen by the designer!