Tuesday, August 15, 2006

IF: Play


This is a drawing of one of the many toys that use to play with the cats.

Too much work and no play makes Angela a... Actually, switch that, too much play and no time to work on my art lately has made me very cranky. Between visitors, weddings, and more visitors I haven't painted in nearly two weeks and it's beginning to take its toll. And the opposite has been true too, too much work - little details of life like renewing our apartment lease, renewing the car registration, going to the doctor to get x-rays of my ankle, a sudden and very welcome influx of freelance design work, putting together packets for galleries and cosultants, finding shoes for the outfit I'll be wearing to my opening on Sunday... Whew! No wonder I'm tired. I need to play with my paints!

Anyway, the images in this post are from what I call my Creative Licensesketchbook, which I just recently completed and started on number 2. If you have not read this book yet, DO! It's the most inspiring and motivational book on creating I've read since The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativitywhen it first came out. I filled up an entire sketchbook with nothing but drawings in 3 months. Quite an accomplishment considering I've never completed one before - even in art school. They always seemed to become word journals and even then I have many sketchbooks with lots of blank pages in them.



I feel like I owe quite a lot to Danny Gregory for helping me to slow down and look, which in turn helped me to get centered with my art again. He also taught me how to make art play instead of work again.

11 comments:

surrealmuse said...

I know those feathers all too well so I have to say you really did a wonderful job sketching them. I also purchased the Creative License a couple months ago, but I really haven't tried any of the exercises yet. I've been more into just abstract pastel journaling. Maybe once I get my studio back up to par (it's in utter chaos after preparing for my last exhibit)...

Colorsonmymind said...

Great drawing-I have that toy too!

Toni said...

I love playing with my cat and her toys.

I know just what you mean about the sketching. I also have never completed a sketchbook and just started.
I have word journals and have painted for a long time. I guess I got things backwards and now I am moving forward. thanks for posting your thoughts

Aslan said...

I don't like cats.....but I really feel the emotion behind your illo.

Deborah said...

Nice linework on the cat toy.

carla said...

I love the lightness of the feathers - I can see that they are almost weightless. Great work! I have been meaning to get Danny Gregory's book, so I think I'll just do it today!

ronald p.d. brandt said...

this is lovely.

the heartful blogger said...

I totally agree! About drawing being play and not work. These drawings are fantastic, lively, expressive lines.

AscenderRisesAbove said...

I really like the use of white space on the top drawing. A fun illustration.

Jess said...

I really like the cat toy feathers. I can see quite a few cats enjoying them.

miragee said...

Beautiful sketches!