Friday, September 29, 2006

Some thoughts on Nocturne in Black & Gold


Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket by James Abbott McNeill Whistler
1875; Oil on wood, 60.3 x 46.6 cm; Detroit Institute of Arts


I've decided that if, for some magical reason, I was allowed to own one masterwork of my choice, I think it would be this one. I just fall into it every time I see it. I wish I could see it in person, because the effect must be even more astounding. I can only hope that my work has that effect, too.

What piece would you want?

P.S. When I first posted this, I forgot to include the artist's name. It's James McNeill Whistler.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

My answer might be different next week or even tomorrow but today I have to say Edward Hopper's Early Sunday Morning. I have a print of it and I look at it every single day. I can only imagine that the original would be even more inspiring to me.

Would have to increase the homeowner's insurance though:-)

andrea said...

Who painted this?

I could narrow it down to two artists (Klee and Hundertwasser) but choosing an actual piece -- give me a month or two! :)

Aravis said...

I've always thought that I would want Van Gogh's Starry Night, but having seen this one now I might have to fight you for it. It reminds me of the sparks drifting upward from a fire at night. Beautiful and peaceful, yet a little wild.

miragee said...

Wow, this is certainly an awesome painting! It's so beautiful!