Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Japanese Gardens

A view of the pond

This past Saturday my husband and I visited the Seattle Japanese Garden in the Washington Park Arboretum for the first time. And it will not be the last. We both took a lot of photos. It is so beautiful and peaceful there. It was a perfect fall day too. A little chilly and foggy, but not too cold or rainy. And the trees were in such wonderful color. There's a maple viewing there this weekend, but I don't think I'll be able to make it. They also have tea demonstrations in their Shoseian tea house which I want to look into attending sometime. The garden will be closed after November to reopen in mid-February, so I'll be able to go back just in time for my birthday!

Some of the biggest Koi I've ever seen!
Another view of the pond.


A lovely tree in its fall wardrobe.

Click on any of the photos to see a larger image.

In the meantime, I want to start exploring the Arboretum. It's huge! And so many trees and paths and gardens. My sketchbook, camera and I will explore it together.

6 comments:

andrea said...

We have a similar garden here, Dr Sun Yat Sen Garden, and the photos are beautiful...but I still haven't been!

Lesly said...

What a totally stunning place ... so much beauty to enjoy. And the tranquility of course.

Gramercy Galleria said...

Angela,

Your photographs are beautiful and make me wish to walk there! Thank you for sharing such a lovely space.

Robin

Angela Rockett said...

Robin - thank you, I was really trying to frame good photos, and it's good to know I was successful

Andrea - do go!

miragee said...

I love arboretums and Japanese gardens. These photos are lovely. I've only been to the Japanese garden in San Francisco!

zia said...

Hey Angela,

Congrats on the show; the paintings are lovely. For a Japanese garden that is MUCH better than the one in the Arboretum, check out Kubota Gardens. It's a bit of a trek (South Seattle), but it's well worth it.

(And if you're wondering who the heck I am, I used to work with Wade at WI)