Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Completed Commission

48" x 36", acrylics/collage on canvas

I just finished attaching the hanging wire to the back of the commission I've been working on and I'll be delivering it to my client tomorrow morning. I'm very happy with how it turned out, and I hope she loves it as much as I do. (I apologize for the glare on the photo above. It's raining so I can't take it outside to photograph and it's too dark without the flash. Hopefully you can get a good idea of what it looks like from this. Hopefully I'll have a chance to photograph it outside in the morning.)

I actually managed to take some pictures of a few of the stages of development it went through too.

A couple of days ago I posted a photo of the first layer of collage and paint. Here I've added more collage elements.


Starting to block in the basic composition.


A layer of paint to marry the elements together.


More layers of paint - and drips!

I continued in this fashion, creating layers and letting the painting tell me what steps to take next, then some final touches, and the end result is in the top picture.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great piece.

I've been experiementing with taking photos of painting lately, and here is what work for me. Next time you might try putting it in the bathroom with the vanity light turned on. This way the light will reflect of white wall or the mirrow back on to the painting and you won't have to use a flash.

Hope this helps.

James Geluso said...

I think it's just the glare, but the finished piece suggests human head and neck to me.

Colorsonmymind said...

This was fantastic-to see your piece develop like this. I feel so lucky:)

The piece you are working on for church is terrific too. I think it conveys what you describe perfectly.

Hugs

tlc illustration said...

Lovely piece (I'm sure she was thrilled). And it was great to see your process.

William said...

Great Work Angela!
Now I know it can be a touchy subject but can you give us an idea of what doing a commision like this would cost?

Gabrielle said...

Thank you for sharing this experience with us, Angela. The painting is absolutely lovely, you can both move across and into the plane. Your client must be very happy!