Thursday, December 28, 2006

2006: Part 2 - looking forward

Savannah cityscape, Nov. 2006

In this continuation from my 2006: Part 1 post, I'll actually be addressing 2007. I had intended to do this yesterday, but I had the opportunity to meet up with my dear friend Nicole so I did that instead. :)

Planning my art career always seems to involve a perilous balance for me. I know that goals need to be specific in order to be attainable, but when I get too specific, I tend to scare myself into frozen inaction. And I don't want that, so I'll keep this fairly simple.

January will be a month of laying groundwork. I need to get some of my newer works photographed, then I want to order some self-promotion postcards. I want to do at least 2 general mailings this year (mailings not for specific shows, just for self-promotion), and I'd like to get the first one started by the end of January or beginning of February. In the past I've usually treated these mailings as big one-time projects, mailing out as many as I can all at once, leaving me drained and distracted from my painting for at least a week, usually longer. I want to treat them more as an ongoing process this year, mailing out a few each week as I research and add to my mailing list. This might mean fewer sent out in the long run, but my hope is it will mean better contacts that I can better keep in touch with.

I also want to order new business cards that will include all of my web addresses - blog, etsy, etc. - not just my website. I find myself writing this information on the back of the cards I have, and it would be nice to simply have it there already. I'll also be making sure my resume, artist statement and website are fully updated. I've been pretty good about that this year, but it never hurts to polish them up a bit.

As a step in getting more organized, I've downloaded a shareware program that I learned about on the ArtBiz blog, to help me track my paintings and clients better. It's called Flick!. I've been playing with it a bit the past few days (it's pretty easy), and I think it's going to be a big help.

I'm also hoping to better organize my tiny studio space, and the time I spend there. Any suggestions? I'd love to see some of your creative spaces and hear about your favorite organizing solutions.

Then there's always the usual paint more, draw more, explore new media, expand my mailing list, get a gallery to represent me (that would be cool!), blog more, expand my Etsy shop, enter more competitions, do more art for church, etc. etc.

I've started celebrating my achievements for 2006! I'll post about them next time.

3 comments:

andrea said...

Would love a copy of your postcard when you've done it -- so I can get ideas about doing the same. I've never done that but the idea is excellent!

leslyf@gmail.com said...

Happy New Year to you, Angela, and thanks for this interesting post. I particularly like the sound of 'Flick' and am going to give it a try.

As for organising in a 'tiny space' ... one thing I have used which is an absolute boon is one of those sets of 3-drawers made of plastic (most Plasticware stores sell them and others too). There are various makes and styles but my one is a about 30" high and has wheels so can be rolled under my work table if I want. The drawers hold an amazing amount of art materials and I can store bottles and canisters upright in them.

These little chests can be stacked one on top of the other too. I will certainly be getting more as my materials seem to be outstripping storage space all the time! And I find the deep drawers are so much easier to keep tidy and organised than shelving.

happy painting!

P.S. - I have a new blog about Artists who blog called Art Blogs 4 U. I hope that maybe you will join us!

Toni said...

I've been trying to read everyone's goals for 2007. It has been inspiring. I want to thank you for the link about flick. I'll be checking it out.