Friday, December 08, 2006

Favorite Books of 2006

As I've mentioned before, I am a bit of a book-a-holic and read contstantly. This year I've actually managed to write them all down - it helps me remember favorite authors and series. Since I love books, I often give books as gifts. While making out my Christmas list of gifts to buy for others, I went back over the list of all the books I've read this year to get gift ideas. It was a really good year, and I read a lot of wonderful books and discovered some excellent writers. I thought I'd take a moment and list some of my favorites here.

Fiction

Novels
The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

Mystery/Suspense series
Jack Reacher books by Lee Child - they each stand alone, so I haven't been reading them in order. My favorite so far is One Shot.
Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne mysteries by Julia Spencer-Fleming beginning with In the Bleak Midwinter
And there were new installments by long standing favorites Laurie R. King and Martha Grimes

Paranormal fiction series(vampires, ghosts, etc.)
New installments in:
Tanya Huff's "Smoke and ..." series
Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series
Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Files

Non-Fiction

Art Inspiration
The Creative License by Danny Gregory
One Continuous Mistake by Gail Sher
Coaching the Artist Within by Eric Maisel

Spiritual Inspiration
The New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton

3 comments:

Gramercy Galleria said...

Angela,

Loved looking through your book list. As a Mystery and Suspense reader, I must check out Jack Reacher and Clare Fergusson. Thanks for sharing your list.

Robin

bridgette said...

ooooh, I loved Time Traveler's Wife so so much.
Thanks for sharing this list...I have lots of spare time to read right now!

Rare vintage said...

I love, love, love your artwork and reading lists. It seems we share much in common. I too am a Pisces, and adore cats especially siamese. I am a mixed media and fiber artist and lived in Seattle many years ago. I live in my home state of Colorado now. Keep up the great art!