Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Illustration Friday: Mask

Kamen/Mask, digital/mixed media, ©1998

This week's challenge for Illustration Friday is "mask". Masks imply magic and mystery to me, and I'd hoped to have time to create a new image of this evocative theme, but I find myself pulled in other directions this week, so I dug up this piece I created while I was in art school. As I think about it, I realize it is appropriate to this theme in more ways than just the obvious.

I created it using Photoshop during a time when almost all my work was put together digitally and was still convincing myself I wanted to become an illustrator, not a fine artist, because being a fine artist just wasn't a realistic goal. It's a sample of a stage in my evolution as an artist. Even then I painted images and textures, and used found objects and papers, primarily treating Photoshop as a glue to put the compositions together. After graduation, eventually I left the computer completely in favor of making messes and working directly on a support. With that step, I removed the mask I'd been holding onto of what I thought of as being realistic and practical, what I thought I should do with my art to make it commercially viable, and allowed my true voice as an artist to show in my work. I am so much happier, and I've grown so much as an artist.


Tags: , , , , ,

6 comments:

Michelle Lana said...

Great work!

Aravis said...

This is beautiful, and I enjoyed reading a little of your artistic history.

I received Feathered Nautilus today and it is even more gorgeous in reality. Thank-you!

Into the Blystic said...

I am so glad you decided to join in the mess! lol! it's so much more fun than the computer... although they certainly have their uses! namaste Elis.

Emila Yusof said...

It's good that you finally removed the mask! Great illo!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh this is great Angela!

carla said...

This is such an evocative piece... I love how she looks out from behind her mask. the whole idea of photoshop and masks is (if you'll excuse the pun) so multi-layered... I'm thinking about how one can use it to mask and change anything, morph it into something else, and yes...mask one's raw ability behind digital magic. I love how you describe it as "glue" and a stage in your evolution towards fine art. I do enjoy doing digital art, but there is something so much more profoundly satisfying about making those "messes" with paints and so on. This is really beautiful, and clearly a precursor to the work I've seen here recently.