Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Date For the Senses


My husband and I recently celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary. The actual date was January 1st, but we didn't really have a chance to celebrate until this past Saturday when Wade treated me to an evening of dinner and the symphony! We had an absolutely delectable dinner at Wild Ginger in downtown Seattle, walked across the street to enjoy some scrumptious Gelato at Gelatiamo, then walked across the street again (this is a fabulous intersection!) to Benaroya Hall and a wonderful progam of Romantic composers. Though the entire program was just wonderful, the highlight had to be Samuel Barber's Cello Concerto, Op. 22 with Mark Kosower as the soloist (see above sketch of cellist). The other sketch if of the fellow playing the bass clarinet, is Larey McDaniel, who also happens to be the very talented photographer who photographs my artwork (a man of many talents).

I did the sketches during the Barber piece. It was a kind of challenge to myself to sketch in public. I'm very shy about it and I'd like to get over that. Sketching is such a pleasure, and and artistic necessity, and I hate that I let my worries over how I look to other people stop me from engaging in it. I think these sketched turned out pretty good, especially considering how high up we were, and how much musicians move while they're performing.

Tags: , , , , , ,

6 comments:

Gramercy Galleria said...

Angela,

Happy Anniversary. Your evening sounds lovely, and your sketch is wonderful.

Robin

Angela Rockett said...

Thank you, Robin.

Lilli said...

Thanks for your tip about moving my paintings :)

Angela Ferreira said...

Hellooo! Another artist called Angela ahaha!!!
love

Angela

Sheri Burhoe said...

Wonderful sketches ! Never worry about what other people think, we'd never accomplish anything in this world if we did that all the time.

andrea said...

Belated happy anniversary! I just realised that your blog had disappeared from my Bloglines page -- who knows when -- after weeks of improper feed (it never alerted me when there was something new). No wonder I've missed what's been going on over here! (And it makes me realise how much I rely on Bloglines, like so many of my other online tools.)

This post reminds me of the year I bought my husband a 4-concert set of tickets to the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. That was three years ago and we haven't been back since that year.

Must read what I've missed now...