Thursday, January 25, 2007

Getting Centered

"Veil I", acrylics/collage painting on 24" x 30" canvas, ©2006

Today was one of those frustrating days where I feel like I'm bouncing around between ideas and activities like a ball in a pinball machine. It started off pretty well, and I got some painting done, then I started bouncing around. I still haven't found my center, my creative rhythm, since the holidays spun me so far off balance, and today was just further proof of that.

At about 4:00 I finally called a halt and stopped. Earlier I had read an idea on Accidental Creative, a site I've recently discovered, and I decided to give it a try right then and there.

"Spend 20 minutes in silence. No distractions, no noise, no tech stuff. Breathe deeply. Then re-engage."

It worked wonders. I lit a candle, drank a cup of tea, and now I feel so much better. I recommend it highly. Over the next few days, I'm going to focus on regaining my creative balance. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

andrea said...

Sounds suspiciously like meditation to me...

Gabrielle said...

Hi Angela! I am tagging you! to see what it means pop by my blog and see if you want to play.

I have days like that too. I remember our 2nd year drawing professor told us to do something very similar. He said to close your eyes and totally empty your brain for 5 minutes, then look at your work.

Chriss said...

Sorry to hear of your frustration. I know we all have those days. Just popped in to say I love that painting -- the colours are just fabulous!

Angela Rockett said...

Andrea: Yep, definitely very much like meditation. I haven't been making time for such things lately, so it was nice to have a reminder, and to actually do it.

Gabrielle: Thanks for the tag. Your drawing teacher had a great idea. It's always good to be able to take a moment and get back into the moment and face what you're doing consciously.

Chriss: Thanks! I'm in love with the colors on this piece too. I feel like it represents a new level of creative accomplishment for me, one I reached when I was in my creative rhythm last fall.

Into the Blystic said...

Angela... well if this piece is an indication of finding center... I can't wait to see more work! Stunning... great use of complements! powerful and I love it! namaste Elis.