Monday, January 08, 2007

New Gallery: Call to Artists

In my last post I mentioned that I have news that should be of interest to you visual artists out there. We're starting an art gallery at my church! I first spoke with Father John about it back in September or October. That's about when our arts committee started to plan what we were going to be creating for the approaching liturgical seasons, and the idea to start a gallery there just hit me like a bolt of lightning. When I approached Father John about it, he got very excited as well and gave me the go ahead, and it's been on the back burner since then, simmering as we went about getting our art together for Advent and Christmas. That was also when he asked me to have a show of my own work in the nave. Now that's over and I'm sending out our first official CALL TO ARTISTS so we can fill that space with their work. Actually, I'll be sending out the official call later in the week, this here is a preview for all of you talented people. :)

The theme for our first show will be "The Stations of the Cross", and will be on view from April 1 (Palm Sunday) through May 25, 2007, thus encompassing Holy Week and the 50 days of Eastertide. I'm still doing some research on the Stations myself, but you can get a start on learning more about this theme by visiting Wikipedia's post, or by doing a web search for stations of the cross. As I learn more about it, I'll try to post a summary of my findings.

For now, here are some of the basic logistics for the show (more exact details will be in the official call, and some of this might change a little as I work it all out):
  • Submission deadline is March 12, via e-mail only.
  • Entry fee is $15 payable via PayPal.
  • Acceptance notifications will be e-mailed by March 16, and work must be dropped off (or shipped to arrive) by March 29.
  • Work must be 2-dimensional, and no larger than 3 feet to a side, and it must be ready to hang.
  • There will be an opening reception, and the gallery will provide publicity and advertising. Accepted artists will receive some postcard announcements to distribute themselves.
I'm very excited about this, and I can't wait to see what wonderful art gets submitted!


P.S. I'm still working on all the details, but in answer to Grant's questions:

1. I don't know the date of the opening reception yet. I'm hoping it will be within the first week of the show, but I need to talk to the Holy Week events coordinator to make sure that's possible. I should know by Friday, 1/12, when I plan to distribute the official call to artists.

2. Any shipping costs will have to be on the artist's dime.

At this point I'd also like to clarify that the work submitted can be either for a specific station, or express the idea of the stations as a whole. I'm looking for all types of art here, realistic to abstract.

Tags: , , , , ,

5 comments:

grant said...

Two questions:
1.Is the reception also on April 1?
2. If we ship our work, is it on our own bill or does the church have something else in mind?

Gramercy Galleria said...

Angela,

I can't begin to tell you what I think of this beautiful idea. I think that ECVA would be very excited to know about this.

Robin

Angela Rockett said...

Robin,

Thank you! I'm planning to let ECVA know soon, because I think they'd be excited too. I know I am.

I dearly hope that you will consider submitting some pieces.

Angela

AscenderRisesAbove said...

looking forward to seeing what you receive for this call; I can't think of any that I could submit but it sounds like a fascinating exhibit

Saints and Sinners said...

someone just sent me this link. I'm so sad this is only for 2dimensional work, cause I have a great 3d mixed media assemblage cross piece.

hope you get lots of great stuff!