The theme for our first show will be "The Stations of the Cross", and will be on view from April 1 (Palm Sunday) through May 25, 2007, thus encompassing Holy Week and the 50 days of Eastertide. I'm still doing some research on the Stations myself, but you can get a start on learning more about this theme by visiting Wikipedia's post, or by doing a web search for stations of the cross. As I learn more about it, I'll try to post a summary of my findings.
For now, here are some of the basic logistics for the show (more exact details will be in the official call, and some of this might change a little as I work it all out):
- Submission deadline is March 12, via e-mail only.
- Entry fee is $15 payable via PayPal.
- Acceptance notifications will be e-mailed by March 16, and work must be dropped off (or shipped to arrive) by March 29.
- Work must be 2-dimensional, and no larger than 3 feet to a side, and it must be ready to hang.
- There will be an opening reception, and the gallery will provide publicity and advertising. Accepted artists will receive some postcard announcements to distribute themselves.
P.S. I'm still working on all the details, but in answer to Grant's questions:
1. I don't know the date of the opening reception yet. I'm hoping it will be within the first week of the show, but I need to talk to the Holy Week events coordinator to make sure that's possible. I should know by Friday, 1/12, when I plan to distribute the official call to artists.
2. Any shipping costs will have to be on the artist's dime.
At this point I'd also like to clarify that the work submitted can be either for a specific station, or express the idea of the stations as a whole. I'm looking for all types of art here, realistic to abstract.
Tags: call to artists, church art, liturgical art, gallery, Easter, stations of the cross