Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Artwork for Lent


This is the altarpiece I created for Lent, which we (the arts committee) installed last Saturday. It's very difficult to get good photographs of it, but I'm very happy with it as it seems to really capture the mood of mystery and introspection inherent to the season of Lent, which is what I was going for.

The arts committee also made this fabric wall hanging along the nave wall. We made it out of sackcloth over a royal purple, then tore the sackcloth to give glimpses of the purple beneath. (There's a lot of symbolism going on in all the artwork that I have trouble putting into words even though I put it into images. Father John put it all very well in his sermon this past Sunday, so as soon as it's available, I'll post a link to it so you can hear all about it from him.)

I'm not so happy with my creative cycle at the moment, as I seem to be in a bit of a lull. The painting I've been happily working on the past couple of weeks suddenly doesn't look right at all, and I'm having trouble working up motivation to move past that and keep painting, that piece or any other. I know this is temporary and an annoyingly necessary part of creativity, but I hate feeling like this. And I hope it passes soon. I've got work to do! There are a few calls to artists with deadlines in March that I want to answer, including my own for Stations of the Cross! Even without those on the horizon, I simply want to be painting.

2 comments:

Gramercy Galleria said...

Angela,

The altar piece is beautiful, and I am sure that it enhances and participates in the worship experience.

I think perhaps it is the place we are right now in the winter cycle that has many of us in a bit of a lull. Be peaceful with it and it will roll away easier.

Robin

Angela Rockett said...

Thank you, Robin.

I think it probably is the winter cycle as well, and I'm trying to be peaceful with it, but I'm having some trouble with maintaining that peace.