Thursday, February 08, 2007

Book report 2: Mysteries

I'm on a Mystery bender lately, most likely because I hunted down most of the authors recommended by Julia Spencer Fleming and read the first books in their respective series. They were all good, and I intend to continue reading them.

Yesterday I finished reading my favorite so far, O' Artful Death by Sarah Stewart Taylor. The main character (and sleuth) is Sweeney St. George, a young art historian and professor whose field of study is funerary art. This leads, at least in this first book, to her researching an anomalous gravestone in a former artist colony in Vermont and finds herself drawn into a mystery from a previous century, as well as one in her own present. The mysteries were compelling and, while the characters don't quite take over my brain the way Fleming's do, they have the potential to do so. Plus, I have a special place in my heart for art history since that was my undergraduate major. I'll be searching out the second in this series this weekend, and will let you know if it continues to deliver.

Another good one that involved art was Still Life by Louise Penny. I'll be looking for the next one in this series as well.

I also read Dust, the newest (21st) Richard Jury mystery by Martha Grimes. As always, very enjoyable, but a little strange at times. Her last one was just strange, so I take this as an improvement.

I've read 14 books, including these 3, since the beginning of the year. I might have to do these book reports more often.

No comments: