Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Finding a rhythm

Veil II, acrylics/collage painting on 36" x 24" canvas, ©2006

Going back to the theme of Getting Centered, I've been trying to balance creativity and all the business that surrounds it. Once again I found a little gem on the Accidental Creative blog called Rhythm and Work in which he describes his need to have A weeks and B weeks, balancing input and output. This sounded like such a great concept that I decided to see how I could fit it into my life. I changed weeks to days and I've been experimenting with A days and B days, and I've added in C days as well.

The basic idea is to plan a day (or part of a day) to be either primarily a creating day (A) or a take care of business day (B). C days are for the all important days of "filling the well" - artist dates, visiting with friends, etc. By giving myself permission to have a day filled with taking care of business (marketing, research, errands,etc.) I free myself from the indecision (and immobility and guilt) that comes from the conflict between the two and I know that I will get back to painting, and only painting the next day, which I'm finding enhances the excitement of getting back into the studio. And then when I'm painting, I know that I've either done the business I need to do, or know I will at the appointed time, so I can focus solely on creating. So far (the past couple of weeks) it's worked pretty well. I try and make Monday a B day, thus getting it out of the way and freeing my mind from it.

Another key element seems to be a balance of flexibility and discipline, so changes to my plans don't send me into a tailspin. I simply re-work the days.

I don't know if I've explained it very well, but I hope I've gotten the basic idea across. And I don't really know how this is different from all the other forms of time management I've tried, but it seems to be working for me. If any of you are having trouble with this issue, I hope this helps you too.

PS. The painting above sold last week!

2 comments:

Into the Blystic said...

Another Beautiful piece!namaste Elis.

Philip said...

Just a note to say how much I like your work and this one in particular. All great though!!