Saturday, March 10, 2007

Home Alone, Paper and Art

Hands of arts committee members working on "paper lace" artwork for Easter

My husband left (at 4 am!) yesterday to attend a conference in Austin, TX, and won't be back for a few days. It's very strange not having him here. It's been a very long time since he's been on a business trip, and I got kinda used to him being around. :) Totally threw my day off and I had trouble settling down to anything. While I do miss him terribly, I am going to try to make the most of it and have some quality alone time. I've got some books (as usual) and some female friendly DVDs (Pride & Prejudice mini-series which I have seen before but look forward to seeing again, The Lake House, and a foreign film called Last Life in the Universe that Netflix thought I might like and I thought it sounded interesting), hot chocolate and a popcorn popper to get me through. Though it's not really a burden, it's kind of freeing to not have to worry about someone else's schedule for a few days.

This morning the church's arts committee began working on our project for Easter. Once again we are doing paper lace, but this year it will be 5 panels instead of 3. We got about 1 3/4 panels today, and a third one is about half drawn. We have at least 3 more meetings to get this done, and I'll be finishing up the drawing part before the next one.

This afternoon a couple from church came over to look over my artwork with the intent of finally deciding on a piece to buy. They first saw my work when I was showing at ArtsWest, and then while my show was up at church, the wife gave the husband a piece of his choice for a Christmas present. It took a while to set up a meeting, but today it all worked out and one of my pieces is now on its way to a new home. A very satisfying afternoon as they took a lot of time trying to decide on just one because they wanted so many of them! In the end he chose a piece that he hadn't even seen previously but that really spoke to both of them. They also seemed to be attracted to a couple of my smaller pieces, so hopefully I'll have another sale from them soon.

Well, off to spend the evening with the oh-so-yummy Colin Firth! :)

4 comments:

andrea said...

YAY!!!!! Isn't it just the best when the happy artist and the happy art lover reach a point of agreement? Congratulations. And I could really use a night of female companionship and chick flix over here in my all male corner of the world so when can I come over? I'll bring the chocolate. BTW I just saw the new(ish) P&P with Keira Knightley. Saw the serial you've got a few months back. There's no question that Colin Firth is the ONLY Mr Darcy!

Angela Rockett said...

You are welcome anytime! What fun we'd have. And yes, yes, yes! Colin Firth IS the one and ONLY Mr. Darcy! No one can out smolder him! It's difficult to not drool throughout the viewing. :)

AscenderRisesAbove said...

loving the idea of paper lace! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out

leslyf said...

Oh home alone with Colin! ... my hero! I recently treated myself to that DVD, having watched the original series when it was first shown in Britain. Certainly THE most perfect production of Pride and Prejudice ever. My only quibble was the impossible high bosoms of the Bennet girls!!!

But the divine Colin made up for that minor annoyance!