Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Illustration Friday: Green


This is a watercolor I created this morning in my sketchbook of a little mint plant that I bought the other day in celebration of spring. I also bought some thyme and rosemary. The plan is to grow a few culinary herbs out on our balcony. I've never had much luck with gardening, container or otherwise, so we'll see how it goes.

After completing this image, I took a walk, and was amazed anew at all the greens which encompass us: the evergreen pines and hollies, the glossy dark green rhododendron leaves, the yellow-green glow of that giant willow tree, dusty green thistle plants, fresh green of the unfurling new leaves, ferns, grass, moss… even the green logo of a Starbuck's cup in the gutter.

8 comments:

trudette said...

Nice , these little sketches are often the best.

andrea said...

Fresh!

the enigma said...

nice sketch and color!

Michelle said...

Very nice work. I love that it is taken from your sketchbook. Looks like you were inspired by this little plant.

Janice said...

this is very lovely... and I like the writing with it... I know its in a sketchbook... but its so cool to have that Im having a peek feeling...

janie said...

looks delicious.

Linda said...

Perfect little sketch -- and the shade of green is perfect!

adrienne trafford said...

it's wonderful - i love the blue in the darker areas of the leaves - i'd love to see other pages of your sketch book.

good luck with your herb garden - don't forget basil haha! (i'm partial to basil)