Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Studio Revamp: Part II

We did it! We managed to assemble the computer armoire. Armed with screwdrivers and chocolate (a bag of Cadbury mini-eggs to be precise), we assembled it in about 4 hours with a minimum of snapping at each other. As you can see, the cats helped a lot too. :)


Harlie inspects the completed armoire.




Marlowe inspects the top shelf assembly.


After the strenuous task of moving it into my studio (that thing is heavy), I rearranged and organized and weeded out and now my studio space works much better. I still have some organizing to do (does it ever stop?!), but it's very usable and I'm very happy with it. I now have a dedicated office space for administrative tasks (which I love being able to shut the door on!), a table with a chair for collaging, journaling, watercolors, reading, etc, and I have much more space around my easel, and a bookshelf that keeps my art books and painting supplies at hand. Canvas storage is still not ideal, but it doesn't get in the way as much as it did before.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my drafting/drawing table. I bought it years ago while I was in college, and it's served me well, but I don't really use it anymore except as a surface that collects stuff, and to hold my paint pallet. I would probably be better served by a taboret, or at least a smaller table, which would take up much less space and not entice me to pile crap on it. I'm also still working on developing a system for storing and organizing my collage papers. Still just mixed up piles at the moment, though some of the piles have found homes in boxes and drawers.

2 comments:

Into the Blystic said...

Good luck with the reorg. My partner just groans when I say I need to reorg the studio! It seems to be an ongoing process with me! lol! namaste Elis.

andrea said...

Your torbie Harley matches the new armoire beautifully!