Thursday, April 12, 2007

"Visions" artist reception tonight!

show announcement postcard, click on image to enlarge

Tonight is the opening reception for "Visions of the Cross". I'm excited and nervous, but mostly excited. This is my first opening reception as not only a participating artist, but also as the curator of the exhibit.

Someone asked me the other day if I thought the show had been a success so far. I guess it all depends on what your definition of success is. My hopes for this show were:
  • To get great art from professional artists, and disprove the notion that all Christian art sucks. Check.
  • To let people know that we're here and that we value the arts as an expression of our faith. Check.
  • To have people outside our church hear about the show, and come see it. Check.
  • To have people really enjoy and respond to the artwork. Check.
So, even before the reception, the show has been a success in my book. To make it more successful, I'm hoping for a good turnout tonight. 4 or 5 of the seven artists involved should be there, so if you're in the area, please stop by - we'd love to meet you.
(Maps and directions)

I'm sure some of the artists (including me) probably hope for a sale or two, but this show will be a success, to me at least, even without that.

This is pretty much the same attitude I entered into when I was having my solo exhibit at the church (and when I do artwork like the altarpieces for the church). Though I did end up with several sales (my most monetarily successful show to date), the greatest feeling was having my work in a venue where it was truly experienced and appreciated on all its levels, spiritually as well as aesthetically. To let it be experienced as a gift from, and to, God.

Anyway, gotta go get the wine and cheese for tonight. Off to Trader Joe's!

1 comment:

bridgette said...

good luck with your show! I am sure it will be a success. I wish I could go and see it in person.

Thank you for your comment on my latest piece. I agree with you that art can very powerful in the insights that it can give to me.

Also for me, I feel like when I am painting or creating, I am connecting to my Creator. I feel close to God. Would love to hear if you feel the same way. I think you might in that I relate to the first hope that you have listed for the show.

anyway, good luck tonight and have fun!