Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Visions of the Cross artist: Angela Wales Rockett (um, that's me)

“Tree of Life”, acrylics/collage painting on canvas, 40" x 30", ©Angela Wales Rockett 2007

(One of these days, I will get a decent photo of this painting! Don't know why it's being so difficult.)

And the last “Visions” artist is, well, me.

To read more about the inspiration behind this painting, please visit my blog entry about it. In it, I wrote about how it was inspired by a sermon about the Cross by St. Theodore of Studios. Father Geoff recently approached me to tell me the painting reminded him of a poem by 16th - 17th century metaphysical poet and Anglican priest John Donne, though I can’t put my finger on the quote just now. But it was quite appropriate.

You can see more of my work on my website.

3 comments:

bridgette said...

beautiful! I love the rich colors.

Gabrielle said...

The red looks jewel like.
This has been a fascinating project to follow. I have never known of a Church so appreciative of contemporary artists yet it is so appropriate, looking back at the role art has played in the church throughout the ages. It must feel so satisfying and fulfilling. Congratulations Angela!

andrea said...

Rich colours --- like Bridgette said. It is a powerful piece and I'm thrilled to read it's a good size, too! Wish I could actually see it in person.