Saturday, July 07, 2007

New Studio! Part 1

"What's behind this door?" you might ask.

Well, this was what it looked like a couple of days ago.
Why did I take pictures of this mess? I wanted to document moving into my first real studio space!!!!!! Can you tell that I'm excited?

I have been fast outgrowing my studio space in our apartment's second bedroom, and finally reached my frustration threshold - too small, too accessible to cats, too small - last week and started looking for a separate, and larger, studio space. After deciding that I'd probably go with the disappointingly small and far away space at a ActivSpace (cool concept, just not exactly what I needed), Father John said I could use the room beneath the church that you see in the pictures above! It's been empty and mostly used for haphazard storage for over a year now. But it's a great space. It's a lot bigger than it looks in these photos, with big windows, a high ceiling, and it's actually two rooms so I can use one for storage!

The only obstacle to moving in is I have to clean it up first. We had the awful carpet (and the 2 layers of awful carpet beneath it) removed and hauled away on Thursday by a couple of industrious young men from Busby Junk Removal, and took all the stuff I don't need out of the space and stored it elsewhere.

And this is what it looks like now:


Unfortunately, the bottom layer of carpet was old carpet tile, and it left behind this sticky but old and disintegrating layer of adhesive. So that's tomorrow afternoon's project. Once that's gone, it will be a wonderful concrete floor that I can splash paint on to my heart's content.

Stay tuned for progress posts.

2 comments:

carla said...

You lucky gal! It's going to be awesome when you have it all cleaned up:> It's good to have the right connections, isn't it:> Funny... I was just about to start organizing my cramped studio space, but feeling overwhelmed, I decided to visit some blogs. Now I'm inspired to get back to work! It will be fun to see your after pics.

bridgette said...

oh lucky! Looks like a great space. I've been wanting to comment on this post for a few days now, but am just able to. Stupid computer.

Thanks for the invite. I would love to join you in your new space. :)