Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Thoughts on the artist's life…

I have a confession. Having been in my new studio space for about a month and a half now, I've discovered that it isn't all perfect. Oh, it's great and I'm not giving it up, but it does come with some unforeseen… complications I guess is the word I'm looking for. The one most prevalent today is that when I leave my studio to come home for the afternoon, I want that time to be somehow productive (especially if I've only spent a short time in the studio). But my brain seems to take the trip home as a cue to shut down. So now I have to figure out some way to combat that. Any ideas?

Another issue is that almost all my supplies are there, so if I have an idea at home, it has to wait until I go back to the studio. I do have sketchbooks and watercolors at home, but that's not always enough to realize the idea's I have. So somehow I have to create some sort of emergency creating kit to store at home (and hope my brain agrees to work when I'm there).

And lastly, I kinda miss home. It really is good to be able to leave and go to a place that is specifically for painting. When I get there, it's easier and easier to get into painting mode because that is all I do there. Sort of Pavlovian, I guess. But there are days that I miss painting at home, with the cats and all the other comforts home provides.

Actually, one more thing. Standing on concrete for long stretches of time is hard on the back! It started to bother me a bit last week, then on Saturday I moved a few heavy things around and my back has been in pretty constant pain ever since. I bought some anti-fatigue mats for the studio floor, and I have a massage appointment on Friday. I can't wait!

Oh, the image is a painting (well, underpainting) I started today. It's another landscape experiment (this one is from a photograph I took while visiting my friends' farm in Oregon). The main canvas I'm working on is nearly done and I hope to be able to post that by next week. So I close with a benefit of the new space - room to work on more that one project at a time! :)

6 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Yes, Angela there are tradeoffs with working away from home. My main reason for not having an offsite studio is that my three dogs would miss me too much!

andrea said...

I think I would probably be more productive in an offsite studio, but as a parent, the only logical alternative is to try and make it work at home.

Take care of that back. I have learned recently that it affects EVERYTHING. Hope you enjoyed your field trip.

Anonymous said...

A bit off topic:

I found a new magazine at B&N last night that would perfectly fit a write-up of your blog and give you publicity. It's the Artful Blogger published by an art magazine company. Details here: http://www.stampington.com/html/artful_blogging.html

Also, I just sent my calligraphy instructor your call for artists link, so you might see something from her or one of her friends.

Best of luck figuring out the optimum way to work. Shelly B.

Tracy said...

Hi Angela, I have struggled with this issue for the last few years as well. I need more space, but am reluctant to leave my home each day. I like being at home!

Can you set up a small space in your home for when you don't want to wait until you get to your studio?

Yeah, ya gotta watch the back! The mats will help.

Sheri Burhoe said...

Great post ! Glad to hear the yoga is helping out.Exercise { properly } is always a good thing.Love how the under painting looks, I'll watch for the completed piece :)

jen said...

nice to hear some others resonate with this! still not sure what to do with this either...