Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Favorite Books of 2007







Last year at about this time, I listed some of my favorite reads of 2006. So, here are some of my favorite reads for 2007.

Fiction
A Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - what a great ride!
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling - so sad to see it end
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer - first of three books in the Twilight Saga, a young adult vampire series

Mystery/Thriller series
•I've already written a post about how much I loved All Mortal Flesh, the latest installment in the Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne mysteries by Julia Spencer Fleming. The next book in the series isn't due out until June of 2008. It is so hard to wait!

I discovered a couple of British mystery writers this year that I am enjoying very much.
•Philip Dryden mysteries by Jim Kelly, starting with The Water Clock
•Merrily Watkins mysteries by Phil Rickman - these officially begin with The Wine of Angels, but I couldn't find anything earlier than The Cure of Souls, which is the third book I think, but Rickman fills in the necessary background details in subtle ways so it's worked out okay. Now I'm reading the Prayer of the Night Shepherd.

Art Inspiration - there are a lot of these books out there, and so many are just not good. For that reason, I've taken to trying to check them out of the library instead of buying them. These two I bought while I was reading the library copies because I know I will return to them again and again.
Creative Authenticity by Ian Roberts - so many YES! moments
Poemcrazy by Susan G. Wooldridge - sends me scrambling for a notebook and pen because her words make me just have to write something, even though I do not claim to be a writer

Non-fiction
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver – eye-opening account of just how messed up our (U.S.) food system really is. Very educational, but also very enjoyable, as Kingsolver and her family write about their year of eating only local food. Full of anecdotes, science, politics and recipes. Makes me want to focus on supporting the local food movement, and almost makes me wish I had a garden of my own (though I wouldn't know a thing about what to do with it). This book is providing the headliner for my new year's resolutions - BUY LOCAL!

4 comments:

tlc illustration said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Some I've read (Harry Potter, Stephanie Meyer's first three books in the "Twilight" trilogy) or have heard recommendations for - so this helps my list for the library. :-)

I love Barbara Kingsolver, but have not read that one yet. I think I will have to now!

bridgette said...

I read Kingsolver's book earlier this year and I really learned a lot. made me dream of creating my own veggie garden. But I definitely could not live on a local diet all year!! I think I would wilt without bananas and avocados.

I have Water for Elephants on my night stand...glad to know that it was one of your favorite reads. HOpe to get to it soon!

Angela Rockett said...

Tara: Glad you liked this. After all those years as a bookseller, recommending books is one of my favorite things to do (next to reading them, of course). Hope you enjoy the books as much as I did.

Bridgette: Yes! Avocados! And citrus fruit! I'm thinking that since a lot of those come from California, and that's not too far away, I can still get them sometimes, especially if I am careful to buy a lot of other things locally. I'm thinking about the bananas though.

AscenderRisesAbove said...

I am going to check out that creative authenticity book; thanks for the heads up!! needing to refocus on the larger pieces and less crafty

so the fruit in california is fairly untouched? good to know! (can you tell that I havent read the book)

ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress