Friday, December 21, 2007

Illustration Friday: Horizon

"Horizon", acrylic/collage on illustration board, 4"x 6" (mounted on 8"x 10"), framed in a simple black frame, available in my Etsy store

The topic for Illustration Friday this week is "horizon", very appropriate for this time of year, when we all seem to look toward the horizon of the new year. It also happens to be the shortest day of the year today, so we look to the horizon for more hours of sunlight as the earth swings back toward the longest day.

I've been thinking about 2008 a lot lately, about what I want to accomplish in it and what sort of year I want to create. There's the usual litany of "lose weight, exercise more, watch less TV, blah, blah, blah…", and I will attempt to do these things. But I'm more concerned with how I see my art life developing in the coming year. And, as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm interested in changing how I approach buying food.

I'm so interested in changing how I approach buying food that I've started a new blog today in which I plan to document and discuss my adventures in creating a more local and seasonal diet. I hope you'll check it out and join the adventure. :)

My thoughts about my art life basically fall into two categories: creating and marketing.

I want to be more creative. By this I mean that I want to allow myself to create more often, and to explore and experiment with new (to me) techniques and media, like printmaking and maybe even encaustics; and with ones that I used to do but have let fall by the wayside, like bookmaking and photography. I would also like to explore writing, and maybe take up knitting/crocheting too. And I want to create more often, and more deeply - stop getting in my own way. It seems like there's too much to do and so little time. But somehow I manage to find time to get sucked into a couple of hours of HGTV and/or the Food Network every day (thus the "watch less TV" mentioned above).

As for marketing, I want to create a good marketing plan, and stick to it! I'm usually pretty good about creating the plan. It's carrying out the plan that needs a little work. It usually starts off okay, but then I get bogged down in fear and second guessing and it grinds to a halt.

In the past few days I've come across a couple of great blogs to help me with many of these issues, so I thought I'd share them here with you.

Steve Pavlina's Personal Development for Smart People - so many great little essays on so many topics, from "How to Give Up Coffee" to "30 Days to Success" to "How to be an Early Riser" to "Living Congruently", and the list goes on. So much to explore.

Wishful Thinking, a blog by poet and business coach Mark McGuinness in the UK. Just great stuff on living the creative life.

And I found them through Accidental Creative, another great site about being a working creative.

10 comments:

dinahmow said...

It all sounds good! And I'm sure Andrea P. will take some of this on board!
Time seems to be everyone's stumbling block...

Barbara Hagerty said...

Nice approach to the topic. Beautiful arrangement of elements. Happy New Year!

Rui Sousa said...

Great work you have, nice colors, and style.Nice collage.
congratolations and good work.
www.ruisousaartworks.blogspot.com

Mark McGuinness said...

Thanks for the link, nice to appear in such great company. And your pictures are beautiful!

tlc illustration said...

Good goals all. I can't imagine finding any more time for even *more* creativity in my crazy production schedule. My goal for this next year is actually *less*. (Not less creativity - less time spent working... We'll see how well that works out).

tlc illustration said...

Merry Christmas to your and yours Angela! Hope you have a lovely day.

marĂ­a maza said...

Love your style, of textures and colours. I think it's very spiritual.

Ro Bruhn said...

Lovely piece of art, you've captured the subject very well. Fabulous colours.

carla said...

This is such a beautiful piece - it's very serene, but the touches of red give a feeling of warmth...and the days are getting longer again! I applaud your decision to buy local and seasonal foods. It takes a lot of effort, but I think once you have a system, it will work well. As far as your art goes - yes - play, be creative, try things! I am reading a very good book - Taking the Leap by Cay Lang - which really gives a ton of specific and practical information regarding marketing art. If you haven't read it, I recommend it! Best wishes to you in the New Year:>

susan said...

happiness to you this coming year. it's so nice to have been peeking in on your work this past year and getting to know you in some artful ways too!
i like your collage very much angela rockett!