Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2007: Taxes and Accomplishments

(no title yet), acrylic/collage on canvas, 30"x48", ©2008

So I did my taxes yesterday. Not the most enjoyable way to pass the time, but it has to be done, and I wanted to get it out of the way. Anyway, a couple of positive things came of it. First, it looks like we'll be getting a return that will help greatly in the effort to get to New York this summer! Second, I did better than I thought in 2007.

I hadn't really taken the time to look at my accomplishments as 2007 drew to a close, because I was pretty sure I'd be disappointed. I knew I'd spent a lot of time and energy working on the gallery and other art projects at church, and not nearly enough on my own artwork and career.

But getting together the numbers for the tax forms made me review the year more objectively, and I'm happy to report that it wasn't all that bad after all. I made more money than in 2006, which is great. What's even better is that in 2006 a large portion of my income was actually from some freelance design work, whereas in 2007, it was all from sales of my own artwork!

Even though I spent a lot of the year feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere, I now feel like I grew a lot as an artist in 2007 and I really like the direction my work is taking now. So I guess something was happening below the surface.

I also feel like I didn't do enough marketing in 2007. I think that one of the reasons I didn't is that I honestly didn't feel ready to, even though I felt I should. ("should" is such a great warning sign!) So I've decided that I'm not going to worry much about marketing until at least June or July, and focus only on making art until then. It is such a relief to make that decision!

I am proud of the gallery too! It's proven to be not only a great venue for displaying really good art, but I've also met some great people and made new friends through it. I just need to rebalance the equation a little so I spend more time on my own work this year and yet still have some great exhibits there.

2 comments:

Peter said...

YAY! Good for you! Glad you had a good year and that you're making some money! It's good to review, isn't it.

thealteredpage said...

Congrats! It is great to be able to look back objectively and see personal, professional, and creative gains.