Friday, February 01, 2008

January 2008 - month in review

I've been feeling kinda spacey lately, and this morning I woke up with that "great, I've caught a cold" feeling. Just headachy and sniffly so far. Hope it doesn't get much worse. Though my plan was to go paint in the studio today, the idea of sniffling in my cold studio doesn't really appeal, so I'm staying home where I can at least be warm as I sniffle. I'll get to painting some small pieces I've been working on, but in the name of procrastination, and since it's February 1st, I figured I'd write blog post about January.

January was a pretty good month. I actually made a lot of sales, including some at the Square Inch Gallery in New York, and I feel really good about what I created in the studio (and out). It's been good to be back in the studio, and the feeling of being cut off that I've been experiencing since the holidays began back in November is finally starting to fade.


















marlowe, etching with Chine Colle, 6"x4"

marlowe, etching, 6"x4"

I also feel really good about the printmaking class I'm taking. Since graduating from art school, I've signed up for many classes just to be disappointed in them, and not completing them as a result. This class is different (and perhaps I am too). So far it's been a truly enjoyable experience and I'm excited to go back each week. These prints of my cat Marlowe are my first etchings. They're pretty simple but I'm absolutely giddy about them! I'm learning some great things, and as I begin to realize the potential of this medium, I'm also starting to realize that the 6 weeks we've been given are not nearly enough to learn all that I want to, so I'll most likely be taking this class again next session.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love printmaking, and almost switched concentrations when I was in school from clay to print - until I realized that would delay graduation too much.

Feel better - I was also sick this past week and am just now starting to feel better.

tlc illustration said...

How great to find a 'worthwhile' class! Looking forward to seeing more of your prints.

dinahmow said...

What a lovely etching! Such simple lines.Hard to see the chine colle, but it looks very elegant.
Please share your next ones with us!

Gwen Buchanan said...

I love your cat... gorgeous. The simplest of lines are always the best... Gwen ... canada

Anonymous said...

I love this one!!!

Lis