Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More grays





As I posted a few weeks ago, I've been exploring grays lately. Exploring the beauty to be found in a gray Northwest winter. These four 8"x 8" canvases are more examples of these explorations. The patterns of the scratches were inspired by the bare tree branches I see everywhere.

Spring has been letting us get sneak peeks lately, and feeling the sun is just glorious after all these months of gray and rain. But it is still winter, and I've found that even when the clouds inevitably return, it holds its own mysterious beauty.

10 comments:

bridgette said...

Love these Angela. and the painting from your last post. I find that the grays and blues of our surroundings seep into my artwork..and actually my wardrobe too! :) What would I do without Payne's Gray?!

Kesha Bruce said...

These paintings remind me of Upstate New York!

Hmmm. I've never really worked with grey. Thanks for the inspiration.

Peter said...

And you're capturing that beauty so well.

andrea said...

I've been a rotten friend lately (sorry) but I've been actively watching this series develop and am very calmed by them. They would be great in a mental health facility! What colour combination do you use to create your greys?

Michelle said...

Beautiful work. I love the texture. And these are so much more lovely than my own winter here in teh northeast...the whites and greys have turned brown.

Peter said...

Art is the new Prozac?

Shayla said...

You have such beautiful work! Glad to have found you.

waking up late said...

I really like the new paintings you have been doing I can't wait to see more.

thealteredpage said...

This series is wonderful. Love the colors and textures. And I definitely agree with Bridgette about Payne's Gray!!

mcdc3s said...

Very nice combinations. Love that gray.