Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter Altarpiece 2008


I hope everybody had a very joyful Easter Sunday. I know I did. This is my third Easter season at Church of the Redeemer, and the second Easter altarpiece I've designed (you can see last year's altarpiece here and here). This year we (the arts committee) decided to add some color to the paper lace design using tissue paper. Turned out to be a very frustrating process, but once the art was installed, it turned out to be so worth all the aggravation.

There were other frustrations as well, largely due to the unusually early appearance of Easter this year. But the biggest frustration was actually me. I had been suffering through some big time burnout issues in regards to my role in the arts committee for months, and was beginning to question whether I'd be able to go on with it once this liturgical year came to an end. This was making me cranky, to put it mildly, and made completing the Easter art that much more difficult. Lent passed with me barely noting it, and Holy Week ended up feeling like such a chore, instead of being the powerfully spiritual journey that I know it can be.

But I'm very happy to report that the Holy Spirit was definitely moving at our Easter Vigil on Saturday night, and I feel all sorts of refreshed now. I feel truly inspired (to breathe life into) and I've got all sorts of ideas for next liturgical year's art. Thanks be to God!

In a few weeks we'll be starting on art for Pentecost and I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Happy Easter!

2 comments:

cynthia said...

I think you're altar piece turned out magnificently!

I do know what you mean about burnout though. I recently resigned from some volunteer positions to concentrate on the ones that mean more to me than others.

andrea said...

I'm glad you experienced a sort of rebirth and the piece is lovely! Can you post about how you created it?