Friday, March 28, 2008

Thoughts on Sketchbooks





Procrastinating… Ahem. Of course, I mean purposefully poking around the internet this morning, I came across several of these little videos on YouTube like the ones above of Moleskine sketchbooks. I'm not sure what the Detour Exhibition is about, but all the sketchbooks are wonderful to look at. While you're over at YouTube, do check them out. They're inspiring me to get serious about my sketchbooks again. Lately, it's been much more of a journal full of words, words, words. I'd much rather it was full of little gems of form and color like these, with only occasional pages of words.

Which made me think about what kinds of sketchbooks I like to use, and for what purposes. Though I really like the idea of having one sketchbook that serves many needs, I always seem to have several going at one time. I have a basic spiral notebook where I jot down notes and to do lists and occasionally journal. I have a ruled Moleskine in which I keep lists of books I've read and to be read, and words, and this is the notebook I head to when I get the rare urge to write a poem. I have a 5"x7" basic hardbound sketchbook (shrinking down from my usual 8 1/2"x 11" book in the hopes that it would feel more portable) that I'd planned to use as my primary sketchbook but has turned into a journal with only a few pages of drawings scattered throughout. Then I have a tiny Moleskine-like blank page sketchbook (about 2"x3") that I always have with me to capture visions and ideas for paintings.

I think it might be the size and shape of the 5"x7" book that's bothering me. It's a bit awkward. It doesn't feel right in my hands. The Moleskines feel just wonderful when I hold them, no matter the size. So, even though they're a bit pricey, I think I might have to splurge a bit in order to have a book I like working with.

What kind of sketchbooks/notebooks do you prefer? How do you use them?

4 comments:

malamik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
malamik said...

When I was a teenager I was gifted with a 8x11 sketchbook, being poor, it was the first fine paper my pencil ever slid accross. I made it into a sketch diary, each entry turned into an image of beauty. It became my personal escape and place to dream and hope for the future :) I have had others since, but now I treasure this one dearly. Sometimes I go to it to get inspiration for my paintings, as in my current one...Freedom.
Be well!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh thanks so much for passing these beautiful moleskin books along to be shared.

I know what you mean. I am so inspired too!!!

Gina said...

Thank you Angela for the wonderful YouTubes about Moleskines.

I agree about having several sketchbooks going at once. The larger ones I hardly use or remember! I keep a 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" journal (with some water crayon splashes and random art in), a 4"x6" spiral sketchbook, and a 3 1/2"x 4 1/2" Art Ideas notebook with lines. Love the size and portability of the latter, a cheapo notebooks from the grocery store with souped-up cover, but would prefer blank pages. Have thought of making my own that size but haven’t yet.

Your post may inspire me to break down and try a Moleskine. I especially love the ones that fold out!