Monday, May 26, 2008

Gallery 309 Opening Reception

Entrance to Gallery 309 (painted by Yael Zahavy-Mittelman). Straight across from the entry? One of my paintings!

You can see the rest of the pictures that my husband took here on his Flickr photostream.

The reception at Gallery 309 last Thursday night was excellent! Lots of great art. The gallery directors had originally planned on displaying 2 or 3 pieces by each artist, but instead they opted for a salon look and covered every bit of wall they could. There was so much great energy, so many people truly interested in the art and the artists. And lots of Europeans. Surely, that's a good sign at an art opening, right? :) And at one point, one of the gallery directors whisked me away from group to another so he could introduce me to one of the clients. Very cool.

Though I didn't meet all the other artists, I did get to talk to a few of them, including Yael Zahavy-Mittelman. I'd met her a couple of years ago when she came to my reception at ArtsWest, but what I didn't realize then is that we actually live in the same town! Interesting how these things come together, no?

And many wonderful friends showed up too, including artists Bridgette and Jessica. Lots of wonderful art talk - inspirations, working methods, challenges, etc. There have been times when art receptions just leave me exhausted, but this one was so energizing. Ended up staying until 10:30 when it was supposed to end, but from the looks of it, the party could have gone all night.

The most awesome part of the evening happened just before we left. Jessica and I had been trying to meet one of the artists whose work we particularly admired, Deborah McCarroll (who also designed the announcement), but she didn't seem to be in attendance. Then she walked in just as we were starting to head out. This meeting was electrifying for me. At first it was just the usual artist meets artist, I like your work, etc. etc. But at the end, she spoke words to my very soul. I wish I'd had a tape recorder so I could remember each of her exact words. I don't know how to adequately convey just how powerful an experience this was, but she looked me in the eyes and with great gravity told me that she can feel the "power" in my work, she can feel that I work "from the inside-out", she could "feel" my brush strokes, that my work is "beautiful and don't ever stop making it." You could have knocked me over with a feather.

10 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

I am so pleased to have a glimpse of you show....Sounded lively and friendly...

and your crows... Wow!!! amazing!!...

What a great concept this gallery has going on... So much exposure..

Angela Rockett said...

Thank you, Gwen. I think the concept is great too, and I'm very happy to be a part of it. The crows, however, are not mine. They are Deborah's. Aren't they amazing?!

tlc illustration said...

What a fabulous sounding evening - especially that last bit with Deborah. Don't you love the Universe sending kudos?

Congrats again, I'm so glad it went well.

Melody said...

Congratulations Angela, it sounds like quite an amazing evening.

cynthia said...

It sounds like the opening was terrific! Wish I could have attended.

Gina said...

Congratulations! Your paintings at Gallery 309 are wonderful; I love the compositions and the colors. I see one of them has sold already—hope the others do likewise!

Peter said...

You sound SOOOO excited ... and so you should be! Glad it went so well for you.

Ellen said...

That sounds like a wonderful evening. Thanks for posting all the photos for us folks who couldn't be there. Wonderful to hear those (very deserving)compliments from Deborah McCarroll.

mcdc3s said...

Sounds like a lovely event. It makes me even more anxious for my own. Wow... your the first thing people saw as they entered. What a great welcome.

matt whitney said...

Gallery 309 looks like a rad space. You've got a lot going on these days! Would love to catch up sometime - but at least I can keep up on your haps on your blog!

matt