Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Gallery 309 closes

my morning tea surrounded by some of my art marketing books

Sadly, Gallery 309 has unexpectedly had to close it's doors. The owner of the building decided to use it for another purpose. Arts4biz is still functioning, and Jose and Guty are searching for a new gallery location, but in the meantime all the artists' solo exhibits are canceled. I'm very disappointed in this turn of events. It means I don't have any shows scheduled after July, and I had been looking forward to having a show in downtown Seattle.

So, I'm looking into options. I don't really relish the marketing end of things, I'd much rather just make art, but it is necessary if I intend to actually show my art, so…

My work will still have a place at Square Inch, and I'm planning to enter a couple of competitions, and I've got a lead on possibly showing in a local winery's tasting room. And I'm considering joining another artists' cooperative gallery. Though it's probably less than it used to be, there is still something of a stigma attached to paying to exhibit your art (and my checking account doesn't like it much either). But I really don't want to wait around to be "discovered" by a gallery and let my art gather dust and go unseen either. And if I can find a local cooperative that is professionally run, it could be a great place to create opportunities and get my work out there. I just hate sitting the gallery though.

Anyway, tired of thinking about it. With last week being devoted to documenting and preparing work for New York, and then having Gallery 309 close, all these thoughts have been circling through my head too much. Going too long without putting paint to canvas just leaves me depressed. Went in to the studio this morning to wire the paintings and start getting them ready for shipping, but just couldn't face it. I started a new canvas instead! Made me feel soooooo much better. :)

9 comments:

andrea said...

How terribly disappointing. I talked to another artist friend on the phone yesterday (in Calgary) who lost out on a deal that would have netted her about $50K. She was sick about it as it seemed a done deal and was practically inconsolable. (And I have my own woes.) So you're not alone, Angela! Philistines all!! Let's have a drink.

Angela Rockett said...

Yes, let's!

Tracy said...

ahh bummer about the gallery closing. I hate when that happens! But Julie Andrews once said that when one door closes another door opens. My ridiculous way of saying that something else will come up:)

Gina said...

I'm so sorry, Angela; what a great disappointment for you!! After all the excitement of the recent opening and all your preparation. There are so many things we can’t control in life. However, I’m glad the Muse pulled you away for a little painting time. Perhaps you can channel your emotions into the new work.

Angela Rockett said...

Tracy & Gina: Thank you both so much for your support.

Melody said...

How disappointing for you Angela.....sometimes things just suck and you gotta feel bad to get to feeling better. Sending good vibes your way......

Peter said...

Things are never straight-forward, are they? Just got to roll with it, I guess. Still make you wanna spit though!

Carolyn said...

That's truly annoying. Wade said the reception there last month drew some very interesting artists and art patrons. Maybe a brainstorming session will produce some good marketing ideas. If you serve wine it's even better.

Hayden said...

I'm so sorry. Sometimes it seems like one step forward and two steps back. Best luck finding a new show!