Monday, June 16, 2008

Preparing for Mapping the Depths

This past week was spent entirely on getting the pieces for my upcoming show "Mapping the Depths" documented, titled, and priced; and getting my statement written and getting the paperwork together for Square Inch Gallery, and… well, not painting, that's for sure. This is not my favorite part of the process. But I have noticed a plus side. It's the only area of my art career in which I can have a checklist of things that need to be done, and I know how to accomplish them and can feel that special sense of accomplishment one can only get from checking things off of a to do list. Sure, I can plan on having a certain number of canvases done in a set amount of time, or plan to paint using certain colors or particular sizes, but usually art making just follows its own path.

I always forget how long this all takes. I spent about 8 hours over the course of three days photographing the work. I'm getting better at it (practice, practice), but with each batch I'd get them home and realize what I could do to make them better - better lighting, better focus - so I'd try it again the next day. And I don't want to think about how many hours I've spent on the computer in the "digital darkroom" cleaning the images up and getting them into the proper formats for their various purposes - websites, promotional materials, prints, etc.. I'm pretty much done with that and now I'm working on getting the images to where they belong. I've started loading the paintings for the exhibit on my website and you can see them as a slide show here. There will be 21 paintings in total, so as of this moment I still have a few to upload. They're all new images too, all created this year.

I am getting very excited about the show, and the trip. It's hard to believe that in just 3 weeks I'm going to be in New York City!

4 comments:

andrea said...

I enjoyued the slide show, lovely work, but I'm confused. Some of these are large pieces. Isn't Square Inch Gallery only for small art?

Angela Rockett said...

For the solo exhibit, I have a little more room. Also, while the focus is on smaller works, the gallery owner has decided to allow pieces up to 36 inches.

Peter said...

looks like your doing a pro job on the photography ... and indeed on putting the whole show together. I'm impressed. It'll be worth it.

Angela Rockett said...

Thank you, Peter! I needed to hear that.