Monday, June 23, 2008

Studio Notes, June 2008

Hello Friends, Family and Patrons!

I just shipped off the artwork for my solo exhibit at Square Inch Gallery in New York City, and I'll be following in just two weeks! I've entitled the exhibit "Mapping the Depths" and it will be comprised of 21 new pieces, all painted since January of this year. I really hope you'll be able to join me at the opening reception on July 10th, 6–9pm. If you won't be able to be there, and/or you'd like a preview, please visit my website to see a slideshow of the work.

Here is the statement I wrote to accompany the exhibit:

I've always been drawn to water, its colors and textures, its shapes and sounds; from the roar of the ocean to the bright tranquility of a sun-sparkled creek, from the rush of rainstorm to the seeming endlessness of a quiet sea. Its light and dark, its tranquil beauty and its mysterious depths. Its ability to take me to the stillness within, to ancient memory and half-remembered visions, from which my paintings emerge.

These pieces emerge from both external, visual inspirations and the internal, mystical stimuli deep within. The surfaces are rich with the colors of the lush watery beauty found in the Pacific Northwest where I make my home. The wet grays and blues of the water and rain surround me and inspire me and permeate my being.

I express not specific physical landscapes/seascapes in my paintings, but rather a mystical geography, reminiscent of the seas and stars and the stillness of those depths. And like time spent at the water's edge, my work invites a response in kind - a deep observation and introspection.

I invite you to take your time at the water's edge, look closely, breathe slowly, and let yourself be drawn into your depths.



If you'd like to purchase a piece, please contact Liz Afif at the gallery by calling (914) 434-1250, or e-mailing her at liz@squareinchgallery.com. If you're going to be in New York between July 11th and August 7th, you can also contact Liz for an appointment to see the gallery.

Below is the postcard announcement for the show. If you asked for one via snail mail, Liz is sending them out, and you should be receiving one soon. If you haven't asked yet, but you'd still like to receive one, just let me know and I'll send you one as soon as I have them.

front of postcard: Mapping the Depths, acrylic/collage on canvas, 12" x 24", ©2008

Back of postcard: exhibit and gallery information


This is also my first visit to New York City, so you can be sure I'll have many pictures to share with you when I get back!

All the best,
Angela

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful show. Have fun in NY!

Ellen said...

Gorgeous show Angela, your statement represents so well what the show is about and the emotional qualities that come through the work. (Wish i could go see it!).

I also see you're using the painting which is supposed to belong to me (not Andrea!) for your promotional material. I LOVE, LOVE that piece! If nothing else, I can at least get it on a postcard. I'm sure it will be a very successful show.