Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Yes, I'm still here.

Looking at the last post (the one where I actually wrote something, not the call to artists), I realize that I seem to have taken over a month off from blogging. I never really set out to do that - it just kinda happened. Part of the reason for it is the existential angst that always seems to set in following a show. The higher the high, the lower the low, and New York was quite a high. Painting was very frustrating for the first month or so, but I'm on track in the studio again, and I'm excited to share my new work here as soon as I get some photos loaded. Angst is on the retreat now too. :)

a few random notes and thoughts from the past couple of months:

• After 40 years as a blond, I have finally given in to my hairdresser's urgings and become a redhead. I like it, but it is very surreal looking in the mirror. Pictures soon.

• Seth over at The Altered Page is at it again with another wonderful edition of The Pulse, and once again he has been kind enough to include me in it. Fascinating stuff. So much fun to get glimpses of other artists' lives.

There's more, but I can't think of it right now. Instead, I will leave you a quote I found while reading Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle that really resonated with me:

Unamuno might be describing the artist as well as the Christian as he writes, "Those who believe they believe in God, but without passion in the heart, without anguish of the mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, and even at times without despair, believe only in the idea of God, and not in God himself."

5 comments:

seth said...

Glad you are back to painting Angela and I look forward to seeing pictures on your blog. Thank you too for the link to The Pulse!

Peter said...

That's a FAB book and was very influential in my development of a series of pictures by the same name. Coincidence? I dont think so!!!

bridgette said...

happy to hear from you here in blogland! I loved that book. I read it a very long time ago, I think I should pull it off the shelf again.
I can definitely see you looking great as a redhead!

cynthia said...

I totally get the low after the high!

You say you've become a red head, and you don't provide a photo???

I've been a blond all my life, except for a period of 2 years when I went red - loved it!

Angela Rockett said...

Seth: Thanks! and happy to.

Peter: It is a FAB book! I'd love to see the pictures!

Bridgette: Should have known you'd have read it too. :)

Cynthia: I'll be posting photos this week. So far, I'm loving being a redhead too. :)