Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Back in the studio

Purple Dusk, acrylic/collage on canvas, 5"x 7", ©2008

This is the last piece I completed before moving took over my life two weeks ago. As I re-entered the studio yesterday, I found myself working on more small pieces. In the past year or so I've discovered when I'm feeling stressed or unfocused or I've been away from the studio for awhile, that working on small pieces provides a gentle way to get back into it. The large pieces can seem too daunting and intimidating, while a small piece is non-threatening (in size and in cost of materials) and can usually be completed relatively quickly. Then, once I've done one or two of them, I usually feel confident enough, and focused enough, to get back to larger pieces.

In the meantime, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Now that the moving process is winding down (though the unpacking seems endless), it's like my mind is being flooded by all the thoughts and ideas that were being blocked by the flotsam of the moving process, and they're a whirlwind in my brain! This makes it difficult to keep focused because I keep thinking of other things I should be, or simply want to be, doing. I had actually intended to write this post yesterday, for instance, but it just didn't happen.

I do have an idea that was inspired, at least in part, by this painting and I hope to be able to implement it by the end of the week, so check back.

2 comments:

bridgette said...

love this piece. great title too.

I felt the same way after our move. It took me a while to get back into it. But I have found that the break was actually really good for my art. I felt refreshed when I came back to it and ready to start something new.

Angela Rockett said...

Bridgette: Thank you! And it's good to know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.