Monday, December 01, 2008

Advent begins

Advent 2008 altarpiece

Yesterday was the first Sunday of Advent, the beginning of the liturgical year and the season of spiritual preparation for Christmas. The photo above is my third Advent altarpiece (you can click on it to get a larger view). This year I let my ideas expand to encompass more than the altarpiece and the nave by decorating the narthex and the outside doors as well. You can find more photos of the Advent art, and some of the process that went into creating them here.

Vesper Light, acrylic/collage on canvas 8" x 8", ©2008 (sold)

In other news, two of my paintings (Vesper Light and Mapping the Depths) have been accepted as part of the "Light of the World" online exhibit from the ECVA (Episcopal Church & Visual Arts), on display now through early 2009.

Advent is a very important time of year for me, and I really wanted to have something profound to say about it for this post. Unfortunately, I've also managed to catch a cold and my brain is not functioning as well as I'd like at the moment, so for now I give you a video that my husband made of Father John discussing "What is Advent and why is it important?"

5 comments:

Tina Steele Lindsey Art said...

Lovely post. Beautiful art, you did wonderfully. Great video. Feel better soon.

Ellen said...

Take care of yourself, hope you're on the mend now. What a symbiosis, your paintings and a spiritual space. lovely!

Peter said...

I'm very inspired by the way you integrate art and spirituality.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Your paintings say it all.. Lovely!

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! They mean so much to me.

And Peter, I am honored that you are inspired. In some ways, I simply don't have a choice to do other than integrate the two.