Friday, December 26, 2008

Baby it's cold outside - and inside too!

(I've asked a question at the end of this post that I'd very much like to have your answer to…)

Okay, our Christmas has been, ummm, interesting this year. Being snowbound was just the beginning, and the root cause of much of our dissatisfaction with the holiday season thus far. A couple of days into the snowboundness, our DVD player decided it didn't want to work anymore. We don't have cable right now, but luckily, we still have a VCR and some Christmas specials on VHS tapes, but our Netflix DVDs are just sitting there waiting for our new player to arrive. Then, we couldn't go out and find a Christmas tree. Then, we couldn't get to Christmas Eve service at our church (this was the biggest blow). Yesterday we were finally able to get out of the house for a bit because our friend sent her dad over to pick us up with his 4-wheel drive capability and so we all went to the movies and had dinner together. Ah, nice. Maybe we can salvage something here.

Oh, wait. Woke up this morning to a non-functioning furnace! It's still snowing! The melted snow turns to ice at night! And we have no heat?! Repairman arrived this afternoon, tuned it up a bit, then announced that in addition to needing that, we are now out of oil. Placed an order for it immediately only to find that the earliest they can get it to us is WEDNESDAY! I'm cold NOW!

And I'm also very, very broke now. After Christmas expenses, on top of moving expenses, money for fixing the furnace and filling the tank with oil is a very large, very unexpected expense. We're new to this land of furnaces and our landlord thought for sure we'd have enough to get us through the winter at least so we thought we wouldn't have to worry about it until next fall at the earliest.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to raise some extra cash in a hurry. Maybe have a big sale on my artwork, say 50% off? That would make my small 5" x 7" canvases $50 (tax and shipping included).

But if I was to do that, would anybody be able to take advantage of it? Would anybody want to?

Seriously. I'm asking you. Would you be interested? Please let me know. If I get enough positive response, I'll do it.

13 comments:

Carolyn said...

I remember that when you put your "small works" up on Etsy they sold out almost immediately. The price was right and the pieces were great.
There's nothing wrong with having a little fine art clearance sale. We need to feed our souls as well as our stomachs.

Tracy said...

Wow, sorry to hear all this!

You may want to look into setting up a budget plan with the oil company, if possible. We pay a small monthly payment (well relatively speaking) all year round so that we don't have a few really huge monthly bills in the winter that would wipe us out! We also get an oil delivery each month, pretty important here in upstate NY, and even though you surely don't use as much oil as we do, you sure don't want to run out either.

Jeez, good luck getting back on track. Can you borrow a few space heaters until Wednesday? I'd loan you one of ours if we lived just a bit closer:)

andrea said...

What? Your landlord is making you pay to repair your furnace about 10 minutes after moving in? I never had a landlord who made us pay for such a thing period. (And you can go to movies on Christmas Day?) Sorry to hear you've had such a &*?$#@! holiday and I HOPE you're keeping warm. If you can get out on the roads yet head north and you can sleep in our studio and play Rock Band with us. We haven't looked at a TV newscast or a DVD since our annual viewing of "It's A Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve" before the boys opened the Rock Band on Christmas morning. I feel very spoiled being snowed in, with lots of food and warmth and a totally addicting game that we all love playing.

That said, I'm feeling terribly broke now, too, though I wish I could buy something from you. If you decide to do it I can 'advertise' you on my blog. Just say the word.

Jaq said...

What Andrea said. I just found out I'm not going to be teaching in the spring so at the moment, finances are really tight.

But I would be more than happy (especially as an owner of an AWR piece) to promote you shamelessly!

Ellen said...

Sorry to hear about your heating woes, older oil furnaces are such a beast (your landlord SHOULD be paying for repairs, makes no sense).

I'd buy your last two abstracts paintings (and many more) in a second if I had extra cash (too many poor artists reading your blog!). I'm trying to figure out how to pay off the new tv my husband bought yesterday after the old one broke on Christmas. (and I'd rather have art than television...)

I'm also more than happy to promote you wherever I can, simply love your paintings.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you all for your comments. I feel I have to clear something up here. The repair on the furnace was actually a very small part of the bill, and our landlord most likely will pay for that when he gets back from his vacation. The oil however, is very expensive, and is our responsibility much like our electric bill is. We just didn't expect to have to pay for it so soon, or on top of so many other expenses.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Tracy: Thanks for the advice about the oil company. I will definitely look into that. And the snow is finally melting(!) so we can actually drive somewhere, so we're going to go out and find a space heater (or two) today.

And again, thank you all for your comments and your support.

cynthia said...

Oh - what a bummer about being snowed in, DVD player, and oil/furnace situation.... I think you're officially exempt from Murphy's Law for the rest of 2008 and 2009!

I do think I'd hold the landlord to the fire to pay for the cost to fix the furnace - I say this as a landlord myself. My husband and I own a 100 year old home that we've been renting out since 1997 with the idea that we might move back into it one day. Every year, we have some kind of repair whether furnace, plumbing, appliances, frozen pipes, etc. We pay for everything provided it's not the tenant's fault which it's not most of the time, barring some destructive pet issues.

Definitely check into the payment plan with oil company - my mom does that in PA.

I'm glad to hear that you are mobile again.

How about watching DVD on your computer. It's not quite the same, but works in a pinch....

As to selling your art on sale. Why not? It sounds like it's worked for you in the past.

I hope 2009 is stellar for you!

Eleanor and Hunter said...

I will TOTALLY buy art on sale! It will be my Christmas present to myself!

So sorry about the heating oil bill. We have heating oil service, but they don't come monthly -- and we did get a bill for over $700 this fall for filling the tank...OUCH! Looking forward to getting a natural-gas furnace when we remodel (or maybe a heat pump? that would be really cool, in an eco-geek kind of way :-)

jamieson5 said...

Sorry to hear about all your hoiday woes. I, too, have oil heat and have spent many a night in front of our fireplace to keep warm. I just switched oil companys and they told me that if I run out of oil I can use off road diesel. I was told that it won't hurt the furnace and will get you by in a pinch. I have not tried it yet but thought the info could be useful. Good luck and Warm wishes for a speedy resolution to your heating problem.

firewallender said...

(Found via Wade's post)

This one is lovely:
http://studiotenshi.com/large-view/Mapping%20the%20Depths/149891-5-0-12575/Painting/Abstract.html

How much are the 10x10s?

Philip said...

You could always consider taking out your frustrations at all these things going wrong in a new painting!
Given the economic situation I am trying to let out my studio to other artists for part of the week.

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

I agree with Carolyn - there is nothing wrong with having a little fine art clearance sell! I am so sorry to read of your heating troubles - it seemes everyone I know is under some sort of hardship resulting from economic woes - it is just crazy out there. I say sell sell sell dear one, at any price you are comfortable with. Have folks make an offer, and if you feel it is reasonable, accept it! Perhaps that will be the new wave! And paint away!!!!