Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Favorite Books of 2008



Yet another snow day. So much ice on the roads (and our roads are mostly of the not flat variety) and our car just can't handle it, therefore spending a lot of time very close to home. So I thought it might be a good time to write what's turned into my annual post about the books I've read over the past year. So far I've read 83 books this year, and I'm reading 84 and 85 right now. I'll be limiting my list to my favorites. (click on the titles to be taken to Amazon.com for full descriptions)

Mysteries - Lots of great mysteries this year, many in series but also a few stand alones.
The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman - in last year's post I mentioned this fantastic Rev. Merrily Watkins series, and I was finally able to find the first few books, beginning with this one. Great stuff!
I Shall Not Want by Julia Spencer-Fleming - Long awaited follow-up to All Mortal Flesh. And I was not at all disappointed!
Touchstone by Laurie R. King - another excellent read from one of my favorite authors.
In the Woods by Tana French - I think this is my favorite find this year. Also really enjoyed her follow-up novel The Likeness, and hope she writes many more. (I believe these mysteries are actually shelved with regular fiction.)
My husband's boss recommended the Detective Kathleen Mallory series by Carol O'Connell. Great series! Addictive too. Begins with Mallory's Oracle, and my favorite so far is the fourth one, Stone Angel.
Fiction
The Forgery of Venus by Michael Gruber - excellent read! Really gets inside the artist's head too.
The Matchmaker of Perigord by Julia Stuart - just delightful. Kind of like how it feels to watch the film Amelie.
Spiritual Inspiration
Walking on Water: Reflections of Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle - excellent
Toward God: The Ancient Wisdom of Western Prayer by Michael Casey - I'm still reading this, trying to savor and absorb its wisdom. Mind blowing. Totally changing my perception of, and deepening my experience of, prayer.

Other Non-Fiction
Plenty by Alisa Smith and J.B. Mackinnon
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
both of these books continued the inspiration to eat more consciously, seasonally, and locally started by reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle last year.

1 comment:

andrea said...

Merry Christmas, Angela, to you and Wade -- and I hope you, like us, eventually escape from the walls of snow!