Monday, December 22, 2008

Snow Day(s)

First Snow, acrylic on canvas, 5" x 7", ©2008 SOLD!

Well, it is definitely Winter. Here in the Seattle area (and most of the Pacific Northwest) we've been slammed with unusually arctic conditions for the past week and a half, and they say there's more to come. We are blanketed in snow, and icy roads mean much of our regular routine has been disrupted. Even Churches were closed yesterday (Sunday).

Since we were unable to get to church yesterday morning, I decided to indulge in a little of what our priest calls Northwest Pantheism and took a walk with my cameras to try to capture the beauty of this winter wonderland. Unfortunately the batteries in my digital died fairly early on, so I only managed to get a few photos with it, and you can see them here on my Flickr account. (I also took my Diana+ with me loaded with some black and white film, but I'll have to wait until I can get it developed to see what I captured with it.)

Luckily I had some art supplies (paint and small canvases) here at home since I haven't been able to drive to my studio. I've painted a couple of small pieces, and I managed to pick up some larger canvases between snowfalls the other day so I can continue to paint here. The painting at the top of the post I painted after the first snowfall last Saturday. I was entranced by the colors and texture of the snow and dry grasses and tree trunks. I plan to do some larger versions along this them too.

The painting below I completed on the heels of River Walk, and you can see that they share a common inspiration.

River Walk II, acrylic on canvas, 5" x 7", ©2008 SOLD!

Both of these paintings are available for sale on my small art blog, or from my Etsy shop.

17 comments:

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

That top piece is strong, very well done. It holds memories of my childhood in CT.

Gina said...

Looks like you made good use of your "snow days"! I'm drawn to River Walk II with the cold blues and the warm colors below. The Flickr photos are great fun, too.

Tracy said...

These are beautiful, Angela.

Ellen said...

These are fabulous beyond fabulous. Mysterious and with a real sense of place. Oh, if I wasn't Christmas shopped out and broke, I would treat myself.

seth said...

Both of these are pieces are really exceptional. You have captured the mood in each.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments. They mean so much to me.

Robin: I must have really got it right to remind you of a winter in CT!

Gina: The cool blues of the sky and the warm colors of the foliage I experienced on my walk that day inspired the two River Walks, so I'm glad that I captured that inspiration.

Tracy: Thank you!

Ellen: Thank you! You said the magic words - mysterious and sense of place.

Seth: Thank you! Oooh, "exceptional". I like that. :)
It seems my work is moving in this direction and it's good to be reassured that I'm capturing the mood.

Tina Steele Lindsey Art said...

Okay my abstract soul-sister twin, I'm really feeling it, especially River Walk

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Tina: Thanks, Sis!

carla said...

Both of these paintings are so transcendental - I feel as if you've channeled Nature and are sharing its beauty with us. They're gorgeous! What a great way to spend a snow day :)

mcdc3s said...

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Years to you and yours. I've missed reading your blog. ~mcdc3s/Maralena

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Carla: Thank you so much!

Maralena: And to you as well!

Gwen Buchanan said...

This is such a beautiful painting.. I love the luminosity!!!

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you, Gwen!

Gift card printing said...

Beautiful art work.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you, GCP.

Zafran ali said...

Both of these are pieces are really exceptional. You have captured the mood in each.
Plastic Card.

Zafran ali said...

Wow!You have done gorgeous job,Last one is very aggressive,I like it so much.Thank,s for so nice sharing.
Wire Harness