Friday, January 02, 2009

14 years and counting!

Wade photographed me while we were on a date in Santa Monica back in 1994.

Yesterday (January 1st) my husband and I celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary. It was a pretty low key celebration involving going to bookstores and having lunch at Goldberg's Famous Delicatessen (since the trip to NYC we've been craving good deli food).

Wade also gave me what is possibly the best anniversary gift yet - he made me a mixed tape! Well, not exactly a tape. He gave me a collection of MP3s of the songs from mixed tapes that we gave each other while we were dating. Back then he made one for me that he called "I've had it with blondes!" (our courtship was a bit tumultuous) and I made one for him called "Life's (Beautiful) Complications". He entitled this new collection "I Guess I Still Haven't Had it with Blondes". :)

I was seriously choking back tears listening to the songs that so vividly brought our beginnings back to me, and the reasons that I fell in love with him, and why I love him still. The song that hit me the hardest was probably Runaway Train by Soul Asylum. These are the lyrics:

Call you up in the middle of the night
Like a firefly without a light
You were there like a blowtorch burning
I was a key that could use a little turning

So tired that I couldn't even sleep
So many secrets I couldn't keep
I promised myself I wouldn't weep
One more promise I couldn't keep

It seems no one can help me now,
I'm in too deep; there's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray

Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Can you help me remember how to smile?
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded?
Life's mystery seems so faded

I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just a-drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train

And everything seems cut and dried,
Day and night, earth and sky,
Somehow I just don't believe it

Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Bought a ticket for a runaway train
Like a madman laughing at the rain
A little out of touch, a little insane
It's just easier than dealing with the pain

Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Runaway train, never coming back
Runaway train, tearing up the track
Runaway train, burning in my veins
I run away but it always seems the same

He did indeed help me remember how to smile!

There are 30 tracks total and the other artists include everyone from Cud and Social Distortion, to Billy Joel and Blondie, to Erasure and Oingo Boingo. It's an awesome collection!

8 comments:

Concha said...

Happy New Year. May 2009 bring you blessings and prosperity.

Wade Rockett said...

Aw. Aren't you the sweetest thing. :)

andrea said...

I love little snippets of the past like this. Thanks for sharing -- and happy happy anniversary!

bridgette said...

how sweet! Happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary you two! Best wishes for the next 14 or 15! ha ha...I can't believe i've known you that long (errr, longer than that)! Love ya both! Lis

Carolyn/Mom said...

I "celebrated" your anniversary by looking through the wedding photos. So many things have changed, but thank goodness one of them is NOT your devotion to each other.
Love,
MOM

Ellen said...

Doesn't old music just bring back the strongest memories? Love this post. (Belated)Happy Anniversary to you both!
You look very close to one my sisters from about the same time period. Were you wearing Birkenstocks in this photo? If you are, then you had a twin.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

And Ellen, no Birkenstocks, I didn't discover those until I moved to Savannah and needed a pair of sandals that could stand up to the terrain of that city. I was probably wearing black Doc Martin type shoes.