Thursday, January 08, 2009

Upon Reflection

Upon Reflection, acrylic on canvas, 5" x 5", ©2009 SOLD!

Only one week left in my 50% off for 50% of January Sale. I just completed and added this piece today, and you can purchase it here.

Since it's the beginning of a new year, I've been reflecting a lot about the goods and bads of the past year and about how I want to approach the new year. I've got the usual resolutions running around in my head, but from experience I know that these generally don't really mean anything past the end of January, so I'm trying to approach it a little differently this year.

One idea that really grabbed my attention is one I found on Christine Kane's blog, and it is the idea of choosing a word for the year and making it your theme. I've been thinking and thinking about this ever since she posted about it, but I have to admit that I've had some trouble thinking of one word that encompasses all that I want for the new year. I think I've chosen fulfill, but I've still got others like clarity and courage bouncing around in my head.

I am also, very gently, trying to set some goals for myself. I'm very good at thinking up a bunch of goals and improvements and then feeling overwhelmed and not doing anything about any of them. If I'm brave, I might even post them here.

5 comments:

Seth Apter said...

Wonderful piece Angela. I love the scratches deep within the surface.

Philip said...

I have also been thinking about goals for this year. I have decided just to see where my art goes without any pressures of exhibitions, sales or making themes. I am enjoying myself again now.

Beautiful work hat makes me think of the sea.

Peter said...

I know what you mean about getting overwhelmed by goals. I still do it but I try not to let them get in the way of sensing what I want to do now and next.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Seth: Thank you. The scratches are something that's been building in my work over the past couple of year and it's taking on a life off its own! I like it too. :)

Philip: That sounds like a very good plan, especially since you're enjoying yourself now.

Peter: I like how you put that, not letting goals get in the way of what actually needs to be done.

Joy Logan said...

No wonder it sold! Great piece!