Friday, February 13, 2009

practice and preparation

Upon Reflection II, acrylic on canvas, 8" x 8", ©2009 (available for purchase here)

It's been a frustrating week in the studio. Nothing turning out right. Some sort of barrier between me and what I want to express. Had a couple of days that were actually pretty good studio days, in that I was in the studio a lot and I felt good being there. But the results left me feeling like I'd spent all day doing nothing. Not my favorite part of the artistic cycle.

But I'm re-reading "Creative Authenticity" by Ian Roberts (awesome book!) and yesterday I read these comforting lines: "The making of art offers a poor example of efficiency at work. Yet all that practice and preparation makes us ready when for some reason everything gets lined up and we become as if conduits for the spirit. It shows in the result. The rest of the time we work to keep the channel open until things realign."

So, I keep working.

(and I post a painting completed a couple of weeks ago)

7 comments:

Sylvie Van Hulle said...

Wonderful painting! I think the result is great! Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing those lines from the book! Have to buy that book! Could use it too ;-)

andrea said...

Great quote (and nice painting). It occurred to me this morning that it's always a crap shoot. Your best work could be either off-the-cuff or planned in painstaking detail -- or neither! But the only way to know is to keep doing it.

Marti Lyttle said...

I read Ian Robert's book last year and found it to be very practical and inspiring. It keeps me going, especially when I have frustrating days in the studio. It's ALL learning! Keep up the great work!

Ellen said...

This reminds me a bit of the Elizabeth Gilbert talk on TED that's being forwarded a lot these days, have you seen it? It's about creativity and talks about those moments when it 'just comes' and how to look at genius, and creative inspiration differently.
http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

I could totally get lost in your soothing and layered blue abstracts, lovely painting

TSL said...

Totally beau-ti-mous! You know what? I thought I had you on my link list for the longest time, and when I added someone a few minustes ago I thought, hey, where is Angela? My sister of the traveling paintbrush was totaaly MIA!

flyinamber said...

like this painting very much!beautiful!

Jala Pfaff said...

I love this painting. Just seeing your work for the first time and I really love it, am adding you to my blogroll. Cheers.
Jala