Friday, March 27, 2009

Lent and the internet, and an update

We're currently in the season of Lent in the church year, and this year I decided to use the internet less as my Lenten discipline. I was going to give up refined sugar, but then our priest mentioned how part of the purpose of Lent is to simplify our lives in order to make more room for God as we prepare for Easter, and it struck me that I've let the internet take over a bit too much lately. So I decided to simplify by limiting it.

It wouldn't have been very practical for me to give it up completely for the entirety of Lent (40+ days), so I decided to become more aware of how and why I use it by only allowing myself to sign on 2 or maybe 3 times a day (instead of checking it compulsively every hour or so), and then only with a clear idea of what I wanted to accomplish while I was there. I've still got a little over a week left of Lent, but so far it seems to have been a very good idea to do this and I'm pretty sure I'll still be doing it long after Lent is over.

In other news…
untitled (tentatively "New York Memories"), acrylic on canvas, 30" x 40", ©2009

I've managed to complete a few more paintings, including this large one. It felt good to paint big again. I don't have a title for it yet, but this one feels like some of my impressions of New York City are expressing themselves.

Three of my paintings (here, here, and here) were accepted into SOPA Fine Art's Under 8 Event in Kelowna, BC Canada. The show opens on April 2nd and will be my first international show! I wish I could be there for the opening, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

4 comments:

andrea said...

Too bad you can't go. Do you think our paintings will be hanging near each other?

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Andrea: I hope so! Then they can have a nice chat. :)

Peter said...

International artists eh? Woo hoo!!! I mix in very refined cyber company you know ...

flyinamber said...

congratulations Angela!
I like all your paintings!I'm shure that the show will be succesfull!