Tuesday, March 03, 2009

New work - finally!
















I finally completed these two paintings - the first in about a month that I feel good about (the photos aren't so great, but I'll retake them later). They're each 9" x 12" (no title has come to me yet), and I picture them hanging together side-by-side, though they each stand alone just fine. And so far I'm pretty happy with the canvas currently on my easel. Can you hear my sigh of relief?

The weather is also turning around (for now at least) and there's a strong sense that spring is right around the corner. Renewal is in the very atmosphere.

11 comments:

carla said...

Wow! These both have such atmosphere. The light makes me think of very early morning or just before dark - there's a glow, but there's also a lot of shadow. Both have an incredibly powerful but serene mood. Beautiful, Angela!

Seth said...

These are beautiful. Mysterious and inviting.

Gabrielle said...

I agree with Seth and Carla.

I am finding the collage elements are giving me a wonderfully haunting sense of another reality.

Ellen said...

I'm awed by your ability to paint atmosphere and mystery. Beautiful!

flyinamber said...

i really love both of these! wonderful colors and the mysterious atmosphere! I think these have to stand together..

andrea said...

Do I sense a series developing? Your use of colour here is really unusual and evocative and works great with the texture. Nice balance of detail and restful areas, too. Keep going!

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you all so much for your wonderful words!

Andrea: Not sure if these are the start of a series or not. The colors are unusual, especially for me, but I woke up one morning with these and the colors in my head (usually I just get b&w compositions) so I had to do them. Thank you for the encouragement!

Philip said...

They me think if seascapes - very Turner!

TSL said...

So nice to see the depth in these -like someone wrote before me,
mys-ter-i-ous!
Nice work!

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Philip: High praise indeed! Turner is one of my absolute favorite artists! Thank you.

Tina: Thank you, sis!

Gwen Buchanan said...

These certainly have atmosphere Angela... the muted colors, texture ... they off an air of the mysterious...

You deserve to feel good about them!!