Wednesday, May 06, 2009

The Unknown Region

The Unknown Region, acrylic/collage on canvas, 30" x 40", ©2009


Darest thou now O soul,
Walk out with me toward the unknown region,

Where neither ground is for the feet nor any path to

follow?

–Walt Whitman, "Darest Thou Now, O Soul"



Details of Unknown Region

Every time I looked at my blog this week I was surprised to see that my last blog post was still my last blog post. Working with my morning pages and The Artist's Way I've been thinking and writing about so many things it seems impossible that they haven't appeared here. But all those words are on (*gasp*) paper. Crazy, I know.

I completed this painting last Thursday, and the title finally came to me when I happened upon the quote above. That's exactly what I'm trying to do, let go of the need to control the outcome and just "walk out". As part of that effort, this week I've been staying away from canvases and playing with some small color studies on paper, and with being more visual in my journal. It's hard because there's a part of me that is trying to convince me that I'm wasting time if I'm not actually putting paint to canvas, but that's the part that got me all blocked up in the first place.

8 comments:

Peter said...

Love the way you're working on your art as you work on yourself ... seems you can't have one without the other!

bridgette said...

this is beautiful angela! and it feels a lot looser.

Despite the dark colors, it has a light feeling, like a cloud is lifting.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Peter: That is very true!

Bridgette: Thank you! I like that interpretation of a cloud lifting.

Tina said...

Oh my Angela, when I saw this before enlarging it looked just like the sky yesterday as a storm approached and cloud ceiling was hanging low, and I loved it because I love what happens just before a storm. I enlarged and got a different perspective, and love what it brought to me that way. Blessings back at you.

maya said...

You are incredible. These are gorgeous and that quote is spot on.

flyinamber said...

love this painting..like a sky before storm..

Ellen said...

Beautiful painting. If you've been at art for awhile, it really takes a lot of discipline and awareness, to drop the outcome and just 'be' in the process. Sounds like a great book, I've got to read it, everyone raves about it.

Philip said...

You will know from my blog that I am having the same issues with this paper/canvas thing. For some reason I can play on paper (or should I say experiment) in a way that I just can't seem to do on canvas. At the moment, I feel the need to play.

Love this new work by the way.