Thursday, July 02, 2009

this and that

It bothers me when there are no pictures on my blog, and the last two posts don't have pictures! So here's a bit of this and that of what I've been up to lately. (you can click on the images to enlarge them)

In early June I went to Ocean Shores, WA for the first time, with my husband and our friends Glenn and Sheila. We had a really lovely time in spite of the constant fog and mist that descended as soon as we arrived. And I took lots of misty photos which you can see here on Flickr.


I've been gardening. This photo is from a couple of weeks ago, and everything is so much bigger now. It's so satisfying to get dinner from the backyard! And with the berries, breakfast too. :)

Starting a new altarpiece for church - actually got to start this one from scratch and make a new canvas! More on that at Redeemer's Arts and Music blog. I'll be updating the progress on that as we go.

And, of course, I've been painting. I haven't managed to photograph everything yet, but here's one I completed a few weeks ago. It's kinda different for me, isn't it. I saw this composition in a vase on a table next to a window, and I had to paint it. So I guess it's an abstract still life.

7 comments:

andrea said...

I loove this kind of post! A picture really is worth a thousand words. And the new painting is magic! So different from what you've done before yet still you -- and so much contrast.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you, Andrea! I really like this painting too, though it took me a while to know what to think of it since it is so different from my usual. And thanks for noticing that it is still me too.

Peter said...

I really like the look of your new painting ... reminds me a bit of Graham Sutherland - who is a hero of mine.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you, Peter! I just looked Graham Sutherland up - cool stuff!

tlc illustration said...

I've yet to visit Ocean Shores myself. Why is it so hard to travel locally I wonder?

Congrats on your gardening. It is incredibly gratifying, isn't it?

cynthia said...

I got lost in your flickr stream and realized that I hadn't commented on your blog and had to come back. The thing I miss most about Maine besides some of my good friends (we moved to CO from ME in 2004) - is the rugged coast line. I loved visiting the beach - especially when the fog rolled in. To me it felt magical.

Tina said...

Hey soul sister, so glad to read about the alter project and see your new work. Thank goodness for enlargements so I can understand a bit more of what is going on, my eyes are starting to change! Yes, the bottom piece is a tad different for you but that is what it is all about!