Thursday, September 03, 2009

testing the waters

I went to my studio for the first time in about a month this morning. Many factors contributed to my absence there (and here too, and maybe I'll write about those in the near future) and even though I had sensed a need for a break a few months ago, I resisted taking it because I knew how hard it would be to go back. It was a truly nerve wracking experience to step through those doors again - my heart was pounding, my hands shaking - but it finally felt like time to get back to work. I tried to keep my expectations low and just allow myself to play with putting paint on canvas. And while I did manage to do that for the most part, I never really let go of the self-consciousness and anxiety that I entered with.

Even so, it still felt good to be there and I'm planning to go back tomorrow. :)

3 comments:

Zappha said...

Take the step; the bridge will be there. Breath deep, plant your feet firmly on the ground and move. I am sure you will smoothly transition back to what you love.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you for your kind and supportive words, Zappha. They will be my mantra today.

Seth said...

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step...and it looks like you have just taken the first one!