Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Encaustic Paintings October 2009–January 2010

untitled, encaustic/mixed media on panel, 8" x 8", ©2009


Angels of the Vineyard I, encaustic/mixed media, 8" x 8", ©2009

Angels of the Vineyard I, encaustic/mixed media, 8" x 8", ©2009


untitled, encaustic/mixed media, 6" x 6", ©2010

As promised, here are the encaustic paintings that I've done since October. Expressing myself in this medium still doesn't feel natural - I still need to learn so much. But I'm still really enjoying it. It kind of reminds me of when I was learning to use watercolors. I knew in my head what I needed to do, but it didn't really work for me until my heart learned how to use them. And eventually that did happen, but it took time and a lot of practice. So that's what I'm giving encaustics, working toward that aha! moment.

The two Angels of the Vineyard pieces incorporate photographs I shot using my Diana+ camera in the vineyards of Cave B Winery a couple of years ago. The shapes of the winter vines made me think of angels' wings.

You should be able to see more detail if you click on the images.

3 comments:

andrea said...

I love what you said about your heart learning how to use them. Perfect way to put it!

Seth said...

All four are beautiful pieces but I am especially drawn to the first one.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you so much, Seth.